• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is birch OK for corn snakes?

sparkplug

My daughter wants to build a little house for her corn snake and I have some thin birch plywood. Is this OK to use or is it bad like pine or cedar? Thanks. Isaac

Birch is just fine. The reason to avoid pine and certain other conifers is that they can contaminate the snakes water with oils that can be toxic to your snake.

Well we finished making the little hiding spot. I know it is not the best/easiest thing to clean but it only took like 2 hours to make and my daughter enjoyed the time while we made it. The front will get a little artwork, and the back we left open so we can get the snake out. If this is a bad design and not safe for a corn, please let me know and we can give it to another one of our pets.

IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8712.jpg

Birch is just fine. The reason to avoid pine and certain other conifers is that they can contaminate the snakes water with oils that can be toxic to your snake.

Has the wood been treated with anything during the processing? Are there different species of Birch or only one kind?

Same questions regarding Genus Pinus.

It's adorable!! I love it!

That is so cool! You are giving me great ideas for my own home-made hides.

Thanks!

Has the wood been treated with anything during the processing? Are there different species of Birch or only one kind?

Same questions regarding Genus Pinus.

I am a little concerned about the plywood aspect of it too, but the snake really loves just hanging out in her fake flower vine and doesn't like to be anywhere else. If she starts to use her little hut, I'll be a little worried. This was more of a project for my daughter and I to build together.

That's adorable! I'd suggest sealing the wood well with something like yacht varnish so any poop can be washed off easily.

"Not the best"? That snake will be PAMPERED if you ask me! LOL.

Good idea about sealing it, too, especially the corners and crevices where it might be harder to clean.

Back