• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is divided 40 breeder big enough?

dewfreek

We are getting two corn snakes and are trying to figure out the best value in housing them. Would a divided 40 breeder be big enough? I know that 20 long is typically the right size for a full grown corn snake, but we are trying to decide if it is cheaper to divide a big tank or buy two smaller ones. We know that you shouldn't house them together and we ARE NOT going to! Thanks!!

if its devided well it should be fine .. just make sure if there hatchlings that there is plenty of hides and stuff as i might still be a lil big .. but other than that it should be fine ...

if its devided well it should be fine .. just make sure if there hatchlings that there is plenty of hides and stuff as i might still be a lil big .. but other than that it should be fine ...

I agree, If divided equally. I am not sure if the tank your talking about is tall or not. If it is tall, then you can always add shelves to make levels. If it is long, then there should be plenty of room.

Is this the one petsmart sells with the locking lid???

It was, we however decided to go ahead and get two 20 longs. We figured in the long run it was better and after having to buy two of everything, the 40 breeder wouldn't really be any cheaper. Thanks for your input though!!

I loooooooooooooove those sliding top cages. Search around if you ever need to buy them again... Petsmart/co aren't the only places that stock them. I found one of the exact same thing/brand at my local fish/reptile store for 30 bucks less, AND supported a local business :)

I have two of my females in a divided 40-gal with a sliding lid. It works quite well.

Yes, give your hatchlings plenty of hides. They do live in the wide world after all, so there's really no such thing as "too big" as long as they have enough hides to feel secure.

Be aware that one or the other of your babies will probably find a way to get into the other side at some point. This isn't a huge problem if they're both the same gender. If they're not, you may need to come up with other housing arrangements as they grow. You don't want an unplanned breeding of a too-young female.

Back