• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

is he big enough?

Petruga

Hey guys, im just wondering if my male is big enough to breed, he is over year old , and he weighs in at 126 grams.

thanks for your help

Hey guys, im just wondering if my male is big enough to breed, he is over year old , and he weighs in at 126 grams.

thanks for your help

I don't think so...Wait til he's 200 grams, which should be next eary spring.

It's probably 'possible', but it's not recommended. For males, the 2/2/2 rule applies. 2 years, 2 feet, 200 grams. Females follow the 3/3/3, 3 years, 3 feet, and 300 grams.

They *can* breed as early as 10 months...but for best results, it is recommended that you let them mature a little more.

For males, the 2/2/2 rule applies. 2 years, 2 feet, 200 grams.

Where did you hear this? I said that once and everybody (except Nanci) acted like that was bogus. If you can point me to a link or book that would be great!

Last edited:
I've heard the rule of 2's for males as well, no idea from where :shrugs:

I think, though, it's a little more flexible with males because you are not going to have egg binding and other ovulation problems as you would with females. I *think* with males, size is more a concern of fecundity.

I think I heard that 2,2,2 rule from Robbie, I'm almost positive it was him in some post..Anyway that's where I heard it.

And here I was getting ready to post the 2/2/2 rule, and everybody beat me to it! LOL. The 2/2/2 rule is something I heard from a breeder when I got my first couple of snakes. It's also a rule I like, because I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a small male in with a large female. The potential for the male to injure himself is too great for the potential breeding profits. Remember: There's always next year!

Where did you hear this? I said that once and a everybody (except Nanci) acted like that was bogus. If you can point me to a link or book that would be great!

Like everyone else, just word of mouth from reputable people. Plus it just plain makes sense.

hey, sorry guys it was on this forum i know that, but im not sure, so you guys are saying next spring??

Thanks Petruga

Alright, i will try and get him up to size, and i will not powerfeed him, and thank you Robbie.

Back