• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is he ready?

Brich

I am considering breeding my female with a borrowed male with interesting genes. Although he is pretty big, he is thought to be only 2 years old. Furthermore, although I put my female through brumation, the borrowed male has been kept warm throughout the winter. That said, the owner reports that, like my proven stud, he is refusing food and "on the prowl".

What criteria would you use to decide if he is ready?

Would you introduce them for brief times or simply cohabit them?

If he fails to get the job done, would you try again with a brumated proven male?

Thanks,
Ben

About 7 corns and counting...

The size and age of the male doesn't matter as much as it does for the female. Also, unbrumated males are just as eager as brumated ones in my experience, as long as the female is ready. I put together a unbrumated pair the other day and they were hooked up within minutes.

I like to introduce the pair in a separate enclosure where I can keep an eye on them, then separate them after a certain amount of time has passed.

Last edited:
Unexperienced males may take a while to figure out exactly what to do, but the usual standard for males is 2-2-2; 2 years old, 2 feet long, 200 g. Unless your female is really large and he's really small, I wouldn't hesitate to try the pairing if this is a cross you want for his genetics.

Sometimes they begin mating in minutes after being put together, sometimes they need to be left alone for a while, or overnight. I wouldn't leave a first-season male with the female longer than overnight though.

I'm curious; what genes are you looking at with this pair?

Back