• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is hot glue toxic

BobM

my mom works at a flower shop and has the hook up on some fake plants. The only problem is that they're either really crappy quality or used (have hot glue on the base)

Should I worry about putting stuff like that in my vivarium

BobM said:
my mom works at a flower shop and has the hook up on some fake plants. The only problem is that they're either really crappy quality or used (have hot glue on the base)

Should I worry about putting stuff like that in my vivarium
No, I wouldn't worry about it. I use silicone to adhere plexiglass in my 55gallon tanks to house 2 snakes on seperate sides and once it drys it's non-toxic. I have to believe glue would be the same.

Don't quote me on this but i don't beleive that hot glue is even glue at all. I think its just a soft plastic. You put it in the gun to melt it then when you stick something to it it holds it in place as it hardenss. To add to it i have a couple fish tanks and the plants you buy for those tanks use, what appears to be hot glue to hold it together. Course if your still unsure im sure you could buy aquarium silicone and it should do about the same job but it takes longer to dry and it can get messy.

I used hot glue in my tank and the only problem I had is that the glue leaves a long strand of hairlike stuff after its applied. I was very careful to get all of that off because I would imagine it could get rapped around the snake and cause a problem.

I just sealed a wood cage I made with hot glue, and attached a bunch of plants with it. As others have said, its just plastic, has nothing in it that can hurt snakes.

i used a special super glue on my viv that people said may be toxic, its been a month, it dried within 5mins, the smell went within 10mins, and my snakes doing great, any type of glue, as long as it dries and doesent smell, i'm sure is not toxic!

George.

Back