• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is it considered a good sign if a new snake is frequently leaving the hide exploring?

JjSnake

I got the cornsnake hatchling yesterday morning, and today he was coming out of the hide frequently and moving around. Yesterday he was pretty scared, and stayed inside the hide for most of the time.

He's still afraid of me, because if I move too much when he's out, then he'll go back into the hide for a while.

I know the temperature is correct because I have the heating pad on a thermostat, I have a digital thermometer with probe, and I've tested it with an IR thermometer. It's near 80 degrees most of the time. The reason I mention that is because I don't think he's moving around because he's trying to find a place with a better temperature.

Thanks for the answers. :) Happy new year, everyone!

Since you have already checked the temperatures, I would say the little one just wants to check out his/her world. Some young snakes do react to newness / stress be being more active. You may find that she reverses behavior after a short time and starts hiding all the time. I have seen a few that were this way. Just continue to treat the little one gently and they should balance out their behavior after a while.

What Nanci said.
When my hatchling got accustomed to her tank, she spent the better part of a couple days inching along between the lip of the tank and the screen lid, looking for any open points. It was cute. After she realized there was no way out, she settled into hiding.

I agree that the snake is probably investigating.

But you can influence that in the long run, if you would like it to stay more active.

At night after the light switches off, they usually become more active and at that time I used to open the door to the viv and let them "escape" - only into my hands though.

I actually never forces my snakes to be handled, but let them chose for themselves and I am sure that it keeps their stress level down.

Now they know that they can "escape", so most nights they will come to the viv door by themselves and when I see that, I will open the door and let them decide if they want to get out.

They do have a memory, even though they are not very intelligent creatures and they will remember exactly where they got out and they will try that again.

Back