• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is it feasible?

Spiderfly

Slug Breeder
I'll be getting my snake sometime in the next little bit, and I have a question for all you feeder breeders out there!

I love rodents, I always have. I had pet mice as a kid and just loved them. I guess my question is. Is it feasible to get mice for breeding for just one snake? Or would I way over produce, even with just one female? I don't want to be breeding more than I need but I'm not quite sure how quick the whole process is as far as breeding, gestation, production goes.

I just. . would love it if I could somehow use my snake as an excuse to get mice again. :p

But at the same time, I don't want to find myself bogged down with animals I don't know. I was thinking if it really probably would make too many babies I could always just have 1.1 mice. Keep them in separate enclosures until I need to breed them etc.

I appreciate any advice!

well you could easily produce a litter of 15 at a time from 1 female and you could get a litter every 4/5 weeks.

that is the sort of quantity my mice produce.

Ah k, so if I kept the male and female separate, I could probably breed them every second month. I'd probably have to keep a female from the third litter or so as a breeder. *debates* I'll have to think on it, and figure out if it's worth it or not now.

Thank you!

If you ever do want to raise feeders for snakes I'd highly suggest going with rats instead. You obviously have to start off with mice pinkies but once he moves onto fuzzies he can go for rat pinkies.

I prefer rats to mice because rats tend to be more flexible in how the colonies work. Rarely ever any cannibalism and re-introducing a male to a female even if they have never met or have other partners isnt such a big issue as well for them.

Just my two cents.

Also; only contributing members get to edit their own posts.

Humm, and I've had rats before too. And they didn't smell nearly as much as mice. That's a good idea! Thank you

even a 1:1 colony can have babies every 4 weeks ish, I have one female that no sooner do I wean her babies, usually at about 3 weeks then she is already about to drop her next litter and in general she has about 15-18 at a time.

I have 11 hatchlings, I yearling, 2 adults and 2 pythons so I need a good supply of various sizes.

Im just putting this out there, but do you know anyone with Corn snakes? or an animal that eats rodents? Because you could breed the mice/rats, then if you have to many either give them away or sell them.
Or another thing you could do, is freeze them for later obveously you would have to euthanize them first http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixBmheO6AT8&feature=related this is a video that might help with the euthanizing. (the dude in it is kinda odd. . . ) but its a good method. And afterwards you can put them in the freezer for later. You would never have to worry about not having the correct size, or the correct amount of food.

Hope that helps.

I really appreciate the link to that video. I just love rodents so much that I'm starting to doubt I'd be able to euthanize them, even if it is the most humane route. And then I wonder why I'd be okay with buying frozen, from places that may not treat their feeders as well as I might and tell myself I could. LOL We'll see. I know I'm getting a snake, and I have no problem feeding it. It's just a matter of if I have the heart to raise the feeders myself or not <3

:-offtopic Thats cool you had pet rodents but I would either set up a deal with r local her store to by the mice or just buy mice and not breed if you only have 1 snake

Back