• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

is it normal...?

sueb

I was just wondering if it was normal for a snake to be picky about the colour of the mouse it eats. Cleo, my creamsicle, will not eat black mice! Now this confused me, and my husband said that maybe she just didn't like the taste of black mice, but I don't think that it should matter. Has anyone else had this problem??? The guy at the pet store said that albino's are colour blind and that she shouldn't be able to tell what colour it is, but she knows, I don't have a problem with white, or light brown mice, just black ones. I am so confused!!!!!:confused: Please let me know if this is normal, thank-you so much!:D

I've noticed the same thing

I have a bunch of different varieties (white, brown, mottled, black and white mice, caramel, etc) and don't seem to have any problem with feeding these. But I have one strain of solid black mice that look different than the other mice. By the way, they are also more agressive, and sometimes nasty biters. A couple of my snakes don't like the f/t black ones. I am not sure why. I suspect this is a smell or taste issue rather than a color issue. Since these are agressive mice, maybe the snakes are genetically programmed to not like them.

Mark

well sueb

im not so sure about corns but ball pythons are picky about the color,,,

but i doubt corns are,,,are you sure the black one isnt a rat .

"The guy at the pet store said that albino's are colour blind and that she shouldn't be able to tell what colour it is"

Reason # 4,087 not to ask "the guy at the pet store" about husbandry issues!

As to your question, yes, I have had certain corns be picky about what color mice I offer them. Now, I get all my mice from rodentpro.com, and they're all white, so it doesn't matter for me any longer.

RodentPro...

Darin,

Most of the mice I got last time from RodentPro were black...and several of my snakes don't like them! I'm going to have to tell them next time to always send white ones to me!

Most of my orders from RodentPro have had various colors except the fuzzies. My last order the hoppers were all black and I had some problems getting some to eat. They seem to have gotten over their initial reluctance though. I have noticed that anytime they have included black mice, no matter the size, the snakes take longer to eat them.

That could explan the short faist

mmm.. thats kinda interesting. My little guy wouldn't eat three meals in a row and I couldn't figure out why because hes a little pig. Now that I think about it all the fuzzies were black.

P.S. Black isn't a colour its a lack or absence of colour. Colour blind people can tell the difference between black and white since black and white arn't technically colors.

Jeff Robertson

The first several times...

I bought from them, I got all white mice. I definitely prefer them. I'll be glad when my current ones are gone so that I can get some white ones. I have always been very pleased with RodentPro. They really work with people with their needs. A couple of times I needed very small pinkies and they willingly sent 1-2 day old pinkies. They are really a great company to get mice from and so I didn't want it to sound as if I am unhappy with their service.

I should clarify my statements here. All of my large mice have always been white from rodentpro. The hoppers I have gotten from them have been of mixed coloration. Maybe I just got lucky on the white larges? Who knows.

HELLO!!!!!!!!

this is for Wasted! I'm pretty sure I know the difference between a mouse and a rat, I have had rats as pets, and they are two totally different aminals! Yes the black ones were mice!!!! And I'm absolutly sure that people at the store that I get my mice from know the difference too!

wait a minute

im really sorry if you took it as an insult ,,
i did not mean to insult you but ive had snakes for about 3 years and i sometimes have a hard time telling mice from rats that are juveniles or smaller

so sorry :(

It is not that I took it as an insult, sorry I sounded so harsh! I guess i was just having a bad day that day. But it is not hard to tell the difference, rats have no hair on their tails, whereas mice do. Just look at the tail. still snake friends?????? :D :D :D

sure

:),,,,hey maybe you can help me out,,,since you said you've had rats as pets,,,at what age can they live without their mom?

I would keep them with their mom till they are about 6-8 weeks ole. Like dogs and cats. As soon as you notice that they are eating the food, and not feeding off of their mom any more it is most likely safe to remove them. I had a family of gerbils too, and I just kept them in the same cage all the time. They really don't need to be seperated, their mom will take care of weening them when she feels that it is the right time to do so. Hope this helps. and sorry everyone else, i know that this is for snakes, but I had to answer the question. :-d:D

just a thought for you guys buying rodents from the supplier - i had problems getting my snkes to eat certain mice it was infact the reverse none woudl eat the white mice so i decided to check out the supplier and ask if anything was diiferent and sure enough the white mice had been changed to different diet - i wasnt the only one to complain either so the supplier had to change back to the old food stuff, it might be worth asking your supplier if they feed the adults /fluffs on different mixes - you might find that there are (i would have thought if they are it would be to do with growing the mice up quicker), maybe even testing new food s on differne lines hence the color mix

just a thought

Back