• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is it true, or far-fetched?

Prairie Orca

My snow corn is getting the green and yellows. He's also getting some purples coming up on him. Is it possible for me to determine his possible hets just by looking at his scales? I remember talking to someone a couple months ago, and after describing my snake to them, they said my snake could be het for lavender.

Reason I want to know Azzie's hets, is just so then I know. I may or may not breed him some years down the road (after I've moved out, whenever that may be).

You can tell what a snake is het for...but it only happens with certain morphs and even then you dont always know for sure. The only real way to tell is to breed to a snow that you know is het for lavender.

There really isn't any visible attribute on a snow that should lead you to suspect that it is het for lavender. If there was some other reason to suspect it, the best way to test it would be to breed the snow to a homozygous (visual) lavender. In a het to homo lavender breeding, each hatchling would statistically have a 50% chance of being lavender. In a het to het lav breeding, the chance would only be 25%.

Correct me if I am wrong... but I thought you would breed hets to a homos as a way to prove them out faster.

My snow corn is getting the green and yellows. He's also getting some purples coming up on him. Is it possible for me to determine his possible hets just by looking at his scales? I remember talking to someone a couple months ago, and after describing my snake to them, they said my snake could be het for lavender.

Reason I want to know Azzie's hets, is just so then I know. I may or may not breed him some years down the road (after I've moved out, whenever that may be).

People that see visual identifiers in heterozygous animals typically already know or suspect the hets of the animal, and they are seeing what they want to see.

There are no "sure-fire" every time is accurate, visual identifiers for het. traits, to my knowledge. There are some that *seem* to be associated with certain traits in het. status...but none of them are "guaranteed" to prove het status, and certainly, animals that are NOT het can display the same attributes.

The only way to know for certain about an animals hets is through knowledge of the parentage, or through test breedings. Everything else is a "best guess", and nothing more...

Is it just me, or did everyone pass up what I think is a real possibility, and it's simply a bubblegum snow starting to obtain its adult coloration?

Is it just me, or did everyone pass up what I think is a real possibility, and it's simply a bubblegum snow starting to obtain its adult coloration?

I don't think anyone missed it...it wasn't the question. He asked about visual identifiers of heterozygous traits...and those are the answers he got...

Back