• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

is my corn yawning?

Garteaser4

for the first time today i had my 4 month corn out and two times he opened up his mouth slowly all the way then closed it. y does he do that?

Many people will say he is adjusting his jaw, others will say he is yawning, another thought is stretching the skin before a shed... but yes it is normal... very normal, but rare to see... :)

alright cool i figured it was just wanted to see what everyone thought,,, yea he ended up doing it a few times right in front of me while i was holding him

cornsnakekid92 said:
consider your sef lucky, it is not comannly seen
Huh? :shrugs:

I see this all the time. Maybe with just one snake you may not see it as often but I wouldn't go as far as being lucky or not commonly seen.

Q

yea i usually saw him doing it after his meals but he did it a couple times while i was just holding him, just thought it was interesting

Garteaser4 said:
for the first time today i had my 4 month corn out and two times he opened up his mouth slowly all the way then closed it. y does he do that?

It's usually a indication that the owner is boring.

Ha! :crazy02:

Sorry had to do it!

*Points to her avatar*

It's not an unusual sight for myself, though some people do say they've never seen their corns yawn. Mine gives his jaw a good wiggle round and often stays like that for ages, I think it's great.

Every snake I've ever owned has done this. I see it more frequently shortly after they've eaten or had a drink of water. My first hatchling 'yawned' right after it had a drink of water less than a day after hatching and I managed to get a picture. This is probably just stretching the muscles in the mouth area. They exercise every muscle in their bodies when they move, so why not exercise the mouth muscles once in a while too?

Erik

My first hatchling 'yawned' right after it had a drink of water less than a day after hatching and I managed to get a picture.
Could you possibly post that for us (or a link to..)? I'd love to see that!

The first day we got our snake she tried to smell her waterdish, ended up getting her tongue stuck to it and freaked out...no picture unfortunately. ;)

DinoNeill said:
Mine usually does it after most meals, I assumed it's just for reajusting the jaw.

Mine does the same thing and just like you I figured it is just resetting it's jaw. It is pretty cool though.

What the?

DinoNeill said:
The first day we got our snake she tried to smell her waterdish, ended up getting her tongue stuck to it and freaked out...no picture unfortunately. ;)
How in the world did it get its tongue stuck to the dish? How did it get unstuck? Bizzare, please do explain. :cool:

Back