• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is peroxide safe?

lazarin

Since it's what I have on hand, I've been using hydrogen peroxide to disinfect Zeke's feeding bin, water bowl, and bathtub after washing them out with dish soap. But I noticed that most of you guys seem to use a bleach solution or commercial products for cleaning. Are they safer? More effective?

Great question !
You got my curiosity up and with a quick search found that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has approved hydrogen peroxide as a sanitizer on surfaces like cutting boards and food prep containers so it appears to be a cheap and safe sanitizer for your use.
I use a UV-C wand (after washing) when I remember to charge it LOL

I currently use white vinegar for dried on messes and chlorhexidine for bedding changes, though I may give Steramine a go for water bowls and major cleans at some point in the future.

It's all about contact time when it comes to disinfectants, including hydrogen peroxide.

A former lab I worked for utilized a piece of equipment called a VHP machine. VHP = vaporize hydrogen peroxide. I won't spew a ton of info, but the machine was used within what's called an ABSL-3 or BSL-3 Laboratory where CDC Select Agents are worked with (google it). Unfortunately, the VHP process used hydrogen peroxide that was stronger than what one can get OTC. Even then, OTC peroxide should be a sufficient disinfectant if it's given a proper contact time. I'd have to research it, but 10-20 minutes is usually a recommended contact time. In addition to contact time, good old-fashion elbow grease (scrubbing) goes a long way. Contact time allows the disinfectant to weaken, or even kill given nasties, and scrubbing allows for lysing any weakened microbes for complete killing. Hot water is also key in this, no cold, not warm, but hot water.

There are other disinfectants that can be used too. Dragonling mentioned vinegar, which is actually an excellent disinfectant and something my wife, who's a microbiologist that works with BSL-3 TB, and I regularly use for simple cleaning to disinfecting. If we need stronger, we'll bust out other chemicals. If you opt for bleach, use at a stronger concentration other than 10%. 20 or 30% may be best given bleach is virtually used for everything and microbes can easily/have develop(ed) resistance at lower concentrations.

Chlorhexidine also works well. Disinfectants that utilize quaternary ammonia are also good.

I'd honestly consult a veterinarian to see what they possibly use and/or sell at their clinic that is a fungicide, virucide, and broad-spectrum anti-microbial. I used to use a chemical called Roccal-D when I was Museum Naturalist for the Las Cruces Museum of Nature & Science, but I haven't been able to obtain it since working there. While still in NM I checked with my herp vet, and though very familiar with it, he wasn't able to get it due to recent regulations within NM. I haven't looked into getting it since moving to TX, but it was some awesome stuff.

Keep in mind, if using either bleach or ammonia, use in a WELL VENTILATED area. And NEVER, under ANY circumstance, mix bleach and ammonia as this will create chlorine gas and require a Hazmat team response.

I use Dawn to do initial, mechanical cleaning and vinegar to disinfect when cleaning my snake's equipment and enclosures. I wash their water bowls with Dawn, then rinse, then spray down with plain old food grade white vinegar, let set, rinse with plain water and refill. The most important part of cleaning is the mechanical removal in my opinion.

I haven't used hydrogen peroxide for my snakes, but it is a safe and effective disinfectant when used properly. I have and do use it around the house.

I try to stay away from harsher cleaners. I don't believe that it is necessary to sterilize my snake's equipment in most cases and that clean rather than sterile, is a healthier goal. I started out using chlorine bleach, but have really gotten away from it as harsh and in most cases, unnecessary.

Thanks for all the replies everybody! I'm glad to know I haven't been doing any harm with the peroxide, but I'll probably be switching to vinegar since it seems to be more tried and true. I live in an apartment with several roommates so I wanted to avoid harsh stuff like bleach as much as possible. I'll look into chlorhexidine or similar once I've got more than one snake, just to be on the safe side.

It's all about contact time when it comes to disinfectants, including hydrogen peroxide.

A former lab I worked for utilized a piece of equipment called a VHP machine. VHP = vaporize hydrogen peroxide. I won't spew a ton of info, but the machine was used within what's called an ABSL-3 or BSL-3 Laboratory where CDC Select Agents are worked with (google it). Unfortunately, the VHP process used hydrogen peroxide that was stronger than what one can get OTC. Even then, OTC peroxide should be a sufficient disinfectant if it's given a proper contact time. I'd have to research it, but 10-20 minutes is usually a recommended contact time. In addition to contact time, good old-fashion elbow grease (scrubbing) goes a long way. Contact time allows the disinfectant to weaken, or even kill given nasties, and scrubbing allows for lysing any weakened microbes for complete killing. Hot water is also key in this, no cold, not warm, but hot water.

There are other disinfectants that can be used too. Dragonling mentioned vinegar, which is actually an excellent disinfectant and something my wife, who's a microbiologist that works with BSL-3 TB, and I regularly use for simple cleaning to disinfecting. If we need stronger, we'll bust out other chemicals. If you opt for bleach, use at a stronger concentration other than 10%. 20 or 30% may be best given bleach is virtually used for everything and microbes can easily/have develop(ed) resistance at lower concentrations.

Chlorhexidine also works well. Disinfectants that utilize quaternary ammonia are also good.

I'd honestly consult a veterinarian to see what they possibly use and/or sell at their clinic that is a fungicide, virucide, and broad-spectrum anti-microbial. I used to use a chemical called Roccal-D when I was Museum Naturalist for the Las Cruces Museum of Nature & Science, but I haven't been able to obtain it since working there. While still in NM I checked with my herp vet, and though very familiar with it, he wasn't able to get it due to recent regulations within NM. I haven't looked into getting it since moving to TX, but it was some awesome stuff.

Keep in mind, if using either bleach or ammonia, use in a WELL VENTILATED area. And NEVER, under ANY circumstance, mix bleach and ammonia as this will create chlorine gas and require a Hazmat team response.
Sorry to double post but I really appreciated this super thorough reply. 😀

Back