• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is Pool Filter Sand Safe?

Matheus Garrido

Olá!

As soon as I sell my fishes, I'll use my 90l (23g) aquarium as a terrarium for my baby snake.
I'm thinking about what sub I'll use, something cheap and good looking. I use this sand in my aquarium substrate and was wondering if can I use it (dry and sterilized, of course) with my snake. He likes to burry himself sometimes and I think it would be very confortable.

He will not swallow it, because I feed him outside, and I don't think it can cause respiratory problems, once the sand was washed a lot to take out all the powder, leaving only the big grains.

So, there's another problem that should I consider before use it?
Thanks!

Here's a picture to you guys know what I'm talking about.

142sj04.jpg

From what I have gathered around internet and books, any kind of sand is not recommended for snakes, although it's OK for some lizards.
Aspen is what most use, it's cheap and doesn't look that bad. Very good for burrowing and tunnels stand.
You can also consider other big wood shavings as a cheaper option. (Don't use pine, cedar, fir, walnut and other smelling woods since they are toxic).
Coconut fiber, orchid bark, and cypress or orchid mulch are also OK, but don't allow that much burrowing. You can get these at flower shops, but make sure they don't have nitrates and fertilizers.
You can look a bit around the net to see pros and cons of this substrates, they are the most common.

What mishima25 said. Sand is not good for corn snakes.

I use aspen. From what I've read most breeders use aspen, which is why I use aspen, besides having great personal experience with it. You can't go wrong with aspen. Also, it spot cleans easily so it is not as expensive as it may seem at first. Also, corn snakes love to burrow in it and it holds their tunnels. It is the best.

The only down side is that if you spill water in it, it can get moldy. So don't spill water in it, or if you do, replace the wet part with dry before it gets moldy. Your snake spends a lot of time in the substrate so it is important.

I know aspen is the best choice and I'd love to use it, but I just can't find here where I live...
So, ok, sand is out and I'll avaliate what's the best one and look for it here, thanks!

I'm using this "forest substrate", which the creators I know use and recommend here:
ous49ogth

Back