• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is she too small?

tirevy

My corn snake Indy is two years old, and currently weighs in at 105g. She is also about 2.5 feet long. I feel that she is much too small...

I feed her every 5-7 days, 3 fuzzies, as that's all I have right now. Should I have her on bigger prey?

Snakes all grow at a different rate and you are feeding her on an appropriate schedule, so I wouldn't worry about how big she is. You might actually be feeding her a little much, depending on how big your fuzzies are, so it doesn't look like underfeeding is the cause of her size. It doesn't matter if you give her one hopper/weaned or 2-3 fuzzies, as the amount of food is the same. If fuzzies is what you have, it's fine to use them up. In fact, it's probably better to feed several smaller items instead of one larger item, but it's usually cheaper to feed one item.

Here are some photos. I am just concerned, because I saw this video on youtube, and his corn snake is about 2 years old and 3 feet, and noticeably larger than Indy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYlxgs6p4pg

DSCN0808.jpg

DSCN0807.jpg

DSCN0806.jpg

DSCN0804.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

Hey tirevy,

She looks like to me she could eat a small mouse. If all you have is fuzzies feed her the fuzzies until they are all gone then move her up in size. You may even try feeding her every 4 days 2 or 3 fuzzies. OR keep doing what you are doing because she does look healthy to me.

Love the Fatman

She looks fine to me. I have a 3 year old that weighs in at a little shy of 200 grams. Growing too quickly is more likely to be detrimental than slow growth. There's no reason to push your snake, especially as you are not underfeeding. Once you run out of fuzzies, hoppers or weanlings would probably be appropriate.

Back