• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is Spike's owner about to experience his first shed??

Spike

Quick question for the masses...I'm about 3 hrs away from picking my son up from school and I don't want him to worry. Little Spike had a pinky on Sunday and was then very active on Monday morning. By Monday evening he had disappeared into his into his damp moss bed and hasn't come out since. I've kept an eye on him and he moves deeper into the darkness when the door opens and extra light fills the room.

This morning I gently lifted the lid on the hide to take a look and Spike turned his head with perfectly clear eyes. I can't see any evidence of a food lump left but can't find any poo either.

My question is, does this sound like Spike is gearing up for his first shed, or is there something else I should look out for also?

Thanks in advance,

J.

Sounds like he could be blue. Is he normally out in the evening, and he wasn't all week?

Nanci

Yep, he's normally active in the evening and normally quiet varied in where he sleeps the next day too. He hasn't budged since monday and I deliberately smoothed out the substrate around his moss hide to see if there were any tell tale signs of movement in the early hours. No change there either!

They will normally go hide when they are about to shed and during the shed .. .sound normal to me. Keep an eye on him and you should notice he will start to go pale in the next few days.

It doesn't hurt anything to look at him, after he's done digesting, if you want to know in the future. You're thinking he's already cleared, though, right? So he should shed today or this weekend.

Nanci

Yes, that's what I'm hoping, Nanci... It would be absolutely perfect if he sheds whilst his owner (my son) is here over the weekend...only right he should be here for the first one in his new home.

Thanks for your advice, I will keep an eye on him and be back quicker than he strikes at his pinkies if I have any more concerns...

Thanks again!

Hi all, back again.

No shed, and the behavior has repeated itself this week, although he's in a different hide.

My son fed him on Saturday and Spike seems to have lost all wariness at feed time and took the pinky without any hesitation. Handled well prior to feeding, healthy tongue movement etc.

Active for an hour or so after his feed, then off he goes into his hide (both times on the cooler side of his home) and has not been out since, although he turns his head to me when I come into view at the hide opening.

Beginning to think this is all Noob-worry and that as was stated in my welcome thread, he's merely settled down and only comes out at night...if that's the case then all I can say is that in my next life, I'm coming back as a captive bred Corn Snake because What a Life!

I'd welcome any comments, even if it's only "Yes, the snake has calmed down, all that's left is for you to do the same!"

Regards

J.

Sounds fine. As a rule I don't disturb the snakes at all for 48 hours post feed,not even to check on them. As long as there's a temperature gradient and choice of hides I trust them to thermoregulate better than I could!

Back