• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is there a reason???

Petruga

Hey, just wondering if there is a reason that all LTR have bug eyes? Ive been noticing that.

They don't all have bug eyes, I don't like the bug eye look myself. I think the bug eye is genetically linked/close to the leucistic genetic mechanism. Line breeding probably caused it to show up even more.

Ours is from SMR... she has perfect eyes!

15315_50448_VeryLarge_Ko8SXia1U5Yi.jpg

Questions

i just got a motley corn snake. when it is in my hand it seems to be very relaxed and still.. does that mean she is comfortable.?

i just got a motley corn snake. when it is in my hand it seems to be very relaxed and still.. does that mean she is comfortable.?

you should start your own thread. not interrupt on that someone else made on a totally opposite subject. not to be rude to you though. it could be comfortable. or it could be sitting still like maybe if im still it wont see me. lol. probably comfortable though.

and on this subject. most of the ltrs ive seen at shows have bugged eyes. but i have seen a few without. im not a big bug eyed fan myself.

I personally find the bug eyes extremely unappealing, and I was told it was due to animals being inbred, or closely related. There was a man at the last reptile show describing this, and all of his LTR's were absolutely perfect, especially in comparison to the mostly bug eyed snake that were so common.

The ones I've purchased - one from SMR and another from a friend here in Mesa - don't have bug eyes. I think that SOME of the less bug-eyed ones can actually "grow into" their eyes and not look as "off" but most don't.

I don't like the bug-eyed look myself, but wouldn't put criticize or put down a person who owns one. They "can" appeal to some... just as some corns with kinks appeal to some.

Here's a pic of my, LTR... No bug-eyes on Luna!
DSC02536.jpg

As I understand it, bug-eyes are an "inbreeding" problem. But I'm no expert.
Here's another one... Just because! LOL.
DSC02558.jpg

Are you thinking about getting an LTR??? If you are, the ones without bug-eyes CAN be found... you just gotta look. Don as SMR has some real nice ones!

Thanks, Kyle! Just trying to show that not all LTR's have bug-eyes... but I'll take that compliment (or Luna will, at least)!

yeah i was just askin, so im guessing you just outcross
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't answer your question....

I know next to nothing (ie no expert), but it does seem that outcrossing is the answer. However, I think even having a normally colored Texas Rat is kind of rare (they're said to be "too drab" and "boring" for such a feisty snake). So even with those normal TR's that are around, you've also got to be sure that the snake outcrossed to isn't from a line that had LTR's in it previously. Otherwise you'd possibly be breeding BACK into the bug-eyed look.

Of course, that last paragraph is all CONJECTURE/SPECULATION on my part... just my musings about the whole deal.

Anyone out there who would know??? I'm fairly sure that Jimmy or Chip or Joe would know...

I've heard similar to Michael and Fred - that bug eyes are linked to inbreeding. It could be a genetic flaw, or that could be the correct assumption.

I also wanted to say that all of the LTRs posted in here are beautiful! That's another one on my list of snakes to get.

I also don't care for bug eyes in LTRs. I do like them in Trans-Pecos Rats, though. Go figure. ;)

Thanks for your anwsers, and no i am not getting one, i was just curious to why it is alot of them have bug eyes.

Back