• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

is this a corn snake?

I couldn't ID my way out of a paper bag, but he sure is a pretty guy, whatever he is.

I don't think it is a corn snake. Probably either a Black rat or Great Plains rat snake, both of which can be found in Oklahoma I believe. I'm not good with exactly distinguishing those species apart. And both of those other rat snake species make great pets! All the black rat snakes I've owned have been extremely gentle.

I agree with Wade. Corns don't live in Oklahoma, and black rats look a lot like cornsnakes. Great Plains Ratsnakes (a.k.a. "Emoryi") also look a lot like cornsnakes. Both species' ranges cover much of OK, but Emoryis usually have higher saddle counts than this mystery snake, and they usually don't have that faint striping that this snake has. And they're browner.

Cool snake. :cool:

I also think, and I'm no expert, that rats have bigger heads as juvenile snakes. That has been my experience in my limited time knowing snakes.

That is a black rat. Saddle count too low for Emoryi, and too black to be a Texas rat. Nice looking little one though!

My experience with black rats isn't that they always make the best "pets." They are fantastic eaters, but temperament varies wildly from one specimen to the next. I have caught very few in the mountains of NC that weren't freakin' pistols, I had several as pets (caught around Cleveland county, NC) when I was a kid that were fine.

Its a very, very, handsome/pretty black rat snake! I dont really get to see snakes, (except at the zoo!) where I'm from. I usually see deer, moose, and other animals. Which is good enough for me when they are in my backyard where I can take a picture from my deck!

Hey thanks everyone for all the help!! My friend put the little guy into a container with some aspen bedding and a few hours later, it had shed. :^)

She's going to trying feeding it a pinkie and see if it will eat something already dead.

elrojo, she did say it was pretty spunky. she said:

"[...] but if it continues to bite me and rattle its tail, then I know it's unhappy and I will set it free."

She found it inside a school slithering through the halls.

"[...] but if it continues to bite me and rattle its tail, then I know it's unhappy and I will set it free."

I'd say that's a pretty good indication of an unhappy snake lol. :devil01: It's still a very pretty little guy/gal! I'd give him a little time to get settled in and make sure that he'll actually eat available food before deciding whether or not to keep him :D.

Good luck!

Ok so Lets throw this out again. Corn snakes are really "Red Rat Snakes", so a black rat snake is in the same family as a "Corn snake". I live not to far from where they live, we are having a problem with them now because they want to expand their terretory but they are getting run over and they can be found at Murrphy's Point in Ontario. I have caught several, and a couple of hatchlings. I have put all back into the wild since. I try to save as many as I can but people are out to get them, they purposly target them as they try to cross. THey are over 6 feet so they do stick out on a highway. Just before they cross they look like a busted tire on the side of the road. Last yr alone I saved atleast 59. Its ok to save them from death but you should never keep a wild caught snake for any reason.

I am ready for an ear full so lets bring it.

I agree with Wade. Corns don't live in Oklahoma, and black rats look a lot like cornsnakes. Great Plains Ratsnakes (a.k.a. "Emoryi") also look a lot like cornsnakes. Both species' ranges cover much of OK, but Emoryis usually have higher saddle counts than this mystery snake, and they usually don't have that faint striping that this snake has. And they're browner.

Cool snake. :cool:

I agree. Definitely obsoleta - NOT emoryi.
KJ

Its ok to save them from death but you should never keep a wild caught snake for any reason.

I am ready for an ear full so lets bring it.

By that rationale there would be no snakes in the hobby. So let's stop it.

Back