• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is this a mite

SteveAlbert

I'm sorry about the quality,,,,,the thing is really small.

Brief history, a month ago, or 2 months ago rather, i thought one of the snakes had mites. I Noticed some small black thing crawling on it, as i took it off, it was actually rather fast as it crawled on my finger(Usually blood sucking insects are slow, as far as my experience goes). I feared all my snakes had mites because they came to me all together in a box. I gave em all showers and changed the substrate to paper towels to monitor. I found another one on the same guy the next day. I did everything you're supposed to(according to these forums and such) to all the snakes. And since then i saw nothing. Perhaps a little bit of wishful thinking on my end but i hoped that those werent in fact mites but some dust mites or something that came with the newspaper.

Anyway, i was taking the snow out for a stroll and noticed a small black thing in the, hmm, vents under the neck. I barely noticed, tried to rub on it with my finger and realized its deep and i dont want to hurt the little guy so i got a Q-tip and managed to smoothly pick it out. And lo and behold, it was a moving insect. I got a video of it, unfortunately quality sucks but might give you a help id-ing if you are some mite pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd_WetWrjwY&feature=youtu.be

it could be, it was hard to tell with video quality but its possible it was a mite, besides baths for the snakes have you done anything to the tank as far as cleaning, disinfecting, fumigating??i noticed mites on my hatchling last week bathed him to drown the mites then picked them off with a cotton swab very gently, vaccumed the tank and the area around it, cleaned and disinfected the tank, heat pad water dish etc..i baked and wooden hides for about 3 hours in the oven and fumigated the tank sealed air tight in a trash bag out in the sun for many hours and ive seemed to have it under control, consistency is key as i now clean the tank and all ornaments everyday and will continue for the next few weeks to help get rid off any eggs or lone wolfs still wandering around and have given him 2 baths since then to make sure i got them all, its a time consuming process and a pain in the butt for both you and the snake but its worth it in the end when you finally get it controled..good luck

I would keep an eye on him, especially under the jaw and around the eye. That looks like a mite or a very small tick to me. Hard to tell.

Hmm Ticks? ive dealt with ticks on a ball python before, quite a few, was a gruesome experience since i have some what of a phobia from insects. But i remember with the ticks is that they were STUCK on the snake, they wouldnt walk around the snake's body real fast. Ill research ticks right some more right now.

Thanks people :)

PS: I forgot to mention that this is a different snake, than the one who i thought had mites.

This is my snow so hopefully itll be way easier finding anything on him.

Poor john snow

Oops, forgot to look at your location. I don't know if you have ticks there or not. But you're right, a mite is much more likely to be walking around. It would be quite strange to see just a single mite, though.

I hate to bring this back up. Managed to get a better camera. Saw this insect-like thing in one of the water bowls. All snakes look clean. This DOES not look like a mite to me, atleast not the ones i found on my corns earlier.

Just posting incase anyone has any idea what i'm dealing with. Looks like an ant, although the "tail" gives it a blood-sucking insect look.

20130803_050336.jpg

I am nearly sure that the insects are not mites.
Because mites are very slow they not crawl as fast as termites or ants.
This may be a night insects.
For more information visit here.

Back