• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is this a regurge?

Maria_12

Maria N.
I woke up this morning and checked on the snake, but couldn't find it anywhere, so promptly panicked, even though my boyfriend was right and he couldn't have escaped - he was under a layer of paper towel.

Whilst looking for him, I found this in his paper towel tube. I'm guessing it's a regurgitation, but I wanted to check...

16-01-06_0835.jpg

I only got my snake on saturday, and it had been fed two pinkies on friday, so this of course wasn't ideal for travelling. I'm guessing it has something to do with my stress or temps... I had the mat stat set to 80F until yesterday when I thought it would be better to have the temps at around 85F and so the snake can choose which temp it wants to be in. I checked the min/max function just now and it appears the highest temp reached was 89F! I've turned the matstat down and read the feeding issues thread in the FAQ's. I'm worried as I've only had him for less than two days and things are already going wrong!

Do you think temperature is the problem and what temp do you recommend (I know the gradient should be around 85F to 70F)?

Thanks for your help!

It looks like a regurge to me. Although it could be poo. Generally in the experience I've had in the matter, when its too cool they regurge, when its too warm they poo out undigested. So it could be either. =/

Having been fed two items on Friday and then being bought and brought home and fussed with on Saturday, coupled with the heat spike could have simply been too much for him.

Just in case its a regurge, give him the obligatory "10 days" without feeding or being handled (if you can stand to do so) and then feed him a single size-appropriate food item at that 10-day mark.

Things like that are why I'm always hesitant to feed multiple food items to younger snakes. Many people do it without any problems whatsoever, I've had more regurges due to it. So that's your choice to make on the matter. For me, I'd rather they eat a single item more frequently than cramming 2 down at once. *shrug*

Although what perplexes me is that there's only one "mouse" evident in the picture. Does he still have a lump in the body? That kind of points to me to it being a fast-moving poo, rather than a regurge. If they regurge, common sense would dictate they can't just vomit up one item, but both would come up.

Btw, welcome to the forums and the wonderfully addicting hobby. ;)

I am more than happy to leave him alone for 10 days if it means it will help him/prevent another incident like this.

As for there only being one "mouse", I read in a manual that they sometimes regurgitate one of multiple food items, but one end of the lump looks really brown and there was a brown (almost a skid) mark on the paper towl outside of the tube...? I can't tell if there is still a lump in the body as he is constantly hidden and I don't want to disturb him. Also, it may sound silly, but I'm not sure what to look for, as their bodies get wider naturally, and he would have been digesting for a few days, so I'd assume it wouldn't be that obvious to the untrained eye of a new owner.

Thanks for your reply and for the welcome :)

If there is still a lump in the body, you'd know it when you saw it. ;)

Imagine a garden hose...then imagine a large candy bar in said garden hose. It leaves a noticeable "lump" about 2/3 of the way down the body. Stretched skin, larger than the rest of the body, etc.

Like this..
HatchlingsDec2.jpg

Although as it is typically digested within 24-48hrs, it may already be dissolved and no longer shows any outward visible signs.

Lets just assume it was a regurge and give him the 10-days and then feed him. I'm sure was just all the stress and heat spike that caused it all. Good luck with the little guy down the road. =)

I don't think there is a bump, at least I didn't notice one when I last saw him. I'm going to wait to feed him, just give him one pinkie and hope it stays down nicely. Thanks for the luck. I'm hoping everything will be fine :)

Back