• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is this normal while feeding cornsnakes?

Caldwell8792

I put my corn snake in his box last night to feed him and he struck at my hand. then after he was done eating when I went to put him back into his cage he didnt want me to touch him. he kept striking at me when I went to pick him up. Finally I distracted him with my other hand to get his attention and got him by the tail. Is this normal?

Yes. Before feeding, he would be "smelling" the mouse, and striking at any movement. It's not directed at you personally. After feeding, he's still in hunting mode for a while- again striking at any movement. While some snakes do not react like this, yours apparently has a strong feeding response. Would it be possible to pick up the whole feeding container and pour your snake back into his viv without handling him?

Nanci

Did you touch his food before you attempted to pick him up? Without washing? If you were touching the pinky/mouse before handling him he may have caught the scent and mistaken you as food.

And i agree 100% with Nanci. He may certainly still be in "hunting mode". If you can't simply slide your snake from the box to his viv ( I can't, my corn's feeding box is too big, i only have a 10gallon tank ) And i would be technically just dumping him in it. I found the wooden tongs handy to just scoop them up and place them in.

All in all, yes it's normal :)

Yeah, it's pretty normal. GJ, my jungle corn, will strike at me after he's eaten. So I always put his box in his cage for him to climb out by himself.

Make sure you have thoroughly washed your hands and wrists before trying to pick him up, and wait 15-20 minutes after he has finished eating before trying to put him back. Most snakes will only stay in "hunt mode" for about 15 minutes before they stop looking for more food, and start concentrating on digesting. Also, make sure that his meal has passed the "gullet", and is situated in the abdomen before trying to put him back...

My adult Tiaga does the same thing. It's the only time I've been tagged by her, was right after she ate and was still in hunt mode. That's why I feed all 3 of mine in paper bags which I'm able to keep right in thier viv's and just tip over to let the slither out after they are done eating. Works well and I don't have to get bit in the process...lol

Back