• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

is this normal?

rik

I started out with two baby corns (they're adults now). never had any problems what so ever. last spring, I added a young female. I got her to lay eggs and they hatched. everything seemed to be fine but they just don't wanna eat. I've tried everything I know, but it doesn't seem to work. what am I doing wrong? could something like this be caused by an incubation error?

I really don't know anymore,

rik

A little more information would be helpful. When did they hatch? What methods have you tried so far? These little guys can be a pain sometimes but it is rare to lose an entire clutch. Have you tried live?

hey Rik

I'm not picking but

how old was the "young female"when she was having these eggs??

Females should be at least 30"and be of a good weight and in her third year ideally.

Havent had a great deal of experience with babes not eating but there are plenty of posts on this site, you may want to take a brouse around.

hope this helps.................STEVE

extra info

they hatched the second week of september. only 2 out of 12 eggs. they both shedd their skin after 1 week. I've tried dead and live baby mice. force feeding small pieces of meat. I also tried tube feeding and water with vitamin and calcium supp. It seems to be keeping them alive but only just that. maybe it's helpfull to know that this was my female's first nest. I hope this is suficient info, if not, let me know.

Thanx, rik.

hi rik

As i said

i dont have a great deal of experience with this but having read a lot of posts on the subject, things that seem to work are..............

brainig a pinky.
lizzard scent.
live pinky.
peices of mouse tail.

I would suggest that you leave them completely alone for about 3,4or 5 days and then using tweezers to hold the food item so as not to leave your scent on it,place it in an old pillow case and as gently as you posibly can place a baby corn in the pillow case,knot the end and leave alone for a few hours.......

...........................GOOD LUCK MAN...............STEVE

hi

Be very careful with the vitamin supplements! They are good in moderation but can cause more problems than good if in excsess.

To keep them "going" until they will eat I suggest assist feeding them all pinkie tails or heads. Or if they are big enough a tiny pink whole. If they are really small, start with tails.

Grab the snake with head gently in your fingers. You can use a Q-tip without the cotton head or something similar to gently pry open the mouth. Then place your tail/head/pinkie into the mouth with a little gentle pressure to put it right in there. Then place the snake down. The natural reaction to swallow if it is in far enough suold make them swallow the rest on their own. I have had snakes start eating after using this method only once or twice before they accept food by themselves.

Another suggestion....since you already have had tube fed them water and such, as gross as this sounds....pulverize or mash or cut frizen pinkies or pinkie parts into a pulp. Then tube feed them this.

bmm

I do not believe you have said what type of corns these are,some corns especially those with miami backgrounds are reported to prefer lizards and can be quite difficult to change!If you can, assist feeding a mouse tail cut to around the size of the hatchling to be fed works well.Pry the mouth of the snake open a bit (a long finger nail works well)and force the tail into the mouth and throat of the snake, not far just a millimeter or so.The snake will then either try to shake the tail out or start swallowing the tail,if it trys to shake it out,usually just touching the tail of the snake will cause it to try to get away and in wanting to go forward it will usually stop trying to shake the tail out and begin to swallow the tail.This is Very stressful, and it may take a time or two to get it right.I would strongly suggest that once you accomplish a feeding this way to leave the snake alone for a few days.And I would also caution you that there are some snakes that just can not be saved!Good Luck! Let us all know how it goes.

Last edited:
thanx

hey everyone,

thank you for the good advice. it really helped me and I'm glad to say that eventhough one of the little ones couldn't be saved the other one is fine. so here's what did the trick. after trying everything, I thought that there was no way it would eat. I don't know how this came to me but I decided to get some mice and wait. it didn't take them very long to produce pinkies. See, the only pinkies you can get around here and frozen. turns out my little dude just wanted the live ones. problem solved.

thanx, I learned a lot of things here

Back