• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is this normal?

Motley07

Peaches, my new creamsicle yearling cornsnake, explored her home the day I got her but ever since (last Sat) she has coiled herself next to her water dish (surrounded by a large piece of driftwood) and hasn't come out or moved much since. I have handled her twice just to examine her to make sure everything is o.k. She allows herself to be picked up and is quite the curious and friendly girl. Her weight looks o.k and all, but when I put her back she flees in a rapid fashion to the nearest hide, then goes back to her coiled position by the water bowl shortly after. The guy I bought her from fed her on a Wed and I bought her on a Sat. I plan to feed BOTH snakes this Sat.

I haven't seen her drink at all or move about and I am somewhat worried. Am I being paranoid?

P.S Motley, my stubborn feeder hatchling is still with me. He was force fed 3/4 of a good sized pinky recently and TA-DA!! He he shed that same afternoon! I am hoping he will choose to eat on his own soon and will give him ample oppurtunity to do so. I will post pics of both snakes soon. BTW, I have no idea if Motley is a 'he'. I just think of him as one.

If Motley makes it, SOMEDAY, I would like to house him and Peaches together. As long as they are around the same size and adults would this be o.k??

Is it possible Peaches is hot? My Maizey is spending a lot of time by his water bowl, not moving, and his cool side is warmer than I'd like, but I can't do anything to change it other than buying him a room AC...They just seem to like waterbowls in general, though, but mostly you hear about them burrowing under the bowl.

NAnci

Nanci, it is quite possible she is warm. The UTH is really the one designed for a 55 gallon tank. She is in a 30 breeder (same dimensions as a 40 breeder only not as tall). The heater takes up one quarter of the bottom of the tank. I had to situate it the long way(going from the left side of the tank to the right) because the heater was too long to place from the front of the tank to the back of the tank on one half. Does that make sense??? The floor is quite warm over in that corner. I am going to get a thermostat or dimmer to bring the temp down somewhat. The 'cool' side is still about 80 degrees.

She's a beauty and I hope she eats for me! Should she be getting a fuzzy or a small full-grown mouse?? she's roughly 2 ft.

Well, first of all I wouldn't feed her till the UTH is under control. Do you know what the temp is, right on the glass above the UTH? Unregulated, a UTH will reach 120 or 130F. I've seen it myself. You can buy a Zoomed 500R for well under $30 on line, or around $40??? I think at a pet store.

Then, when you go to feed her, look at how wide she is at her widest point, and choose a mouse that is one to one and a half times that diameter. Wherever you buy the mice should let you look at the sizes before you decide.

Nanci

I have a zoomed thermostat that I use with my UTH's. it works very well for me. I'm new to snake ownership, so it's comforting to know my snakies won't burn themselves.

All for of my snakes do this. They allow me to pick them up and handle them but when I put them back they jump forward and flee to the nearest hiding spot, then after a few minutes they come out again.

That, I think, is just behavioral.

However the cool side is way too warm. 75F seems alright for the cool side, 85F max for the hot spot.

I don't know what to do about the temperature. I can't really lower it to 75 unless I unplug the UTH. That's the only heatsource IN the cage. The room temp is a bit warm, but 82 is what the little stick on thermometer says (and that is on the cool side of the viv.

The stick thermometer isn't good because you need the temp over the UTH and ubder bedding. It is difficult to keep the cool side cool enough in summer. I turn mine off during the days and point fans towards viv to help keep them cool. Also the bigger water dish will help as if they get really warm they will go in the water. A hide can be a toilet paper tube or paper towel tube, a shard of pottery. The doge type water dishes are nice because they serve two purposes water and hide.

Back