• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is this shedding? Or should I worry?!

RedCloud

I finally got my snake home today, yay! Still deciding on a name. My friend suggests something spicy related cause of his red color. I'm thinking Chipotle but not sure if that's too girly. Anyhow I had him out and noticed this whitish spot thing on the back of his head! He also has a few peely parts on his tummy. Is he going into shed, coming out of it? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393806822.608111.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think i would set up a humid hide for your snake. It looks like it might be bits of an old shed. Hopefully in a few days with a humid hide your snake will get it cleared up.

I think i would set up a humid hide for your snake. It looks like it might be bits of an old shed. Hopefully in a few days with a humid hide your snake will get it cleared up.

All I have right now for hides is 2 cardboard boxes as I'm waiting on a shipment from eBay. Is it ok for me to put wet paper towels in there? I don't want it growing mold o.o

Probably not a good idea to put damp paper towel in there (as you've mentioned, possibilities of mold). Until you get some sphagnum moss and even a plastic container, you can do a very lightly dampened towel - I'd say away from the substrate.

Humid hides can be made out of an empty plastic butter tub, or similar container, with a hole cut in the lid or side then barely damp towel or moss or eco-earth.

As it stands I don't have any plastic containers Dx I bought 2 plastic hides on EBay but they're taking forever to get here >< Should I maybe give him a little soak in warm water tonight? Or would that be too stressful? He explored around the Viv and is now in his warm hide, hasn't moved for an hour. I'm just fussing over him lol ><

Seeing as he's an adult and probably a bit more calm than tiny babies, it would probably be okay to soak him for a few minutes today.

Does he seem stressed at all or is he mostly hiding? If he's been out and roaming a lot he might be stressed out and you should probably leave him alone. Generally a happy snake is a hiding snake.

Also, where did you get him from? Was it from a stressful loud pet store or did you adopt him from someone else's quiet home? How long was he traveling before you got him settled in?

But really some stuck shed here and there will not harm him and as long as he doesn't have any on the tip of his tail of covering his eyes (his eyes look clear to me) then you can just leave him. If he doesn't get the shed off in a few days or a week you can soak him and gently rub it off.

Overall I would say to just leave him. But if it's driving you absolutely crazy (I know it would probably drive me crazy) and he seems calm and came from a stress free environment then I say it's probably okay for a short soak. Make sure the water is a comfortable corn snake temperature and not just a comfortable human temperature (use a thermometer, aim for high 70s to low 80s). Use a wet washcloth to wipe him down and get the old shed off, then let him go back home so her can rest :)

PS. I think Chipotle is a great name, I don't think it sounds girly at all!

Seeing as he's an adult and probably a bit more calm than tiny babies, it would probably be okay to soak him for a few minutes today.

Does he seem stressed at all or is he mostly hiding? If he's been out and roaming a lot he might be stressed out and you should probably leave him alone. Generally a happy snake is a hiding snake.

Also, where did you get him from? Was it from a stressful loud pet store or did you adopt him from someone else's quiet home? How long was he traveling before you got him settled in?

But really some stuck shed here and there will not harm him and as long as he doesn't have any on the tip of his tail of covering his eyes (his eyes look clear to me) then you can just leave him. If he doesn't get the shed off in a few days or a week you can soak him and gently rub it off.

Overall I would say to just leave him. But if it's driving you absolutely crazy (I know it would probably drive me crazy) and he seems calm and came from a stress free environment then I say it's probably okay for a short soak. Make sure the water is a comfortable corn snake temperature and not just a comfortable human temperature (use a thermometer, aim for high 70s to low 80s). Use a wet washcloth to wipe him down and get the old shed off, then let him go back home so her can rest :)

PS. I think Chipotle is a great name, I don't think it sounds girly at all!

Ah thanks for the advice. He seemed a bit stressed at first, exploring the tank, and going everywhere. But now he's buried under the aspen with just his head sticking out from under the cardboard box xD I got him from an animal shelter which was pretty crowded and semi noisy. I wouldn't say it was insane stressful but it wasn't really peaceful either. I guess I'll just wait till tomorrow (hoping he's still IN the Viv tomorrow o_O) and give him a little soak, as it is driving me nuts xD Also he was supposed to eat today but the guy said not to feed him for a few days till he settles in. Hope he's not too hungry :(

* And that settles it his name is officially Chipotle :DImageUploadedByTapatalk1393827345.084635.jpg

Oh he'll be fine, trust me they are either always hungry, or so picky that they stop eating for a month. He will be perfectly fine if you wait to feed hi until next week.
I bet he's enjoying the peace and quiet of his new home.

He's lucky to have a owner who knows how to take care of him so well!

Good luck :)

Oh he'll be fine, trust me they are either always hungry, or so picky that they stop eating for a month. He will be perfectly fine if you wait to feed hi until next week.
I bet he's enjoying the peace and quiet of his new home.

He's lucky to have a owner who knows how to take care of him so well!

Good luck :)

Not sure how much "peace" he's getting since I keep sticking my face up against the glass every five seconds lol Being so used to active animals like birds and fish, when something burrows to the bottom and doesn't move I think "Oh gosh it's sick or dead!"

But he's lucky there's a forum with people who have so much knowledge and experience to share!

Thanks!

Back