• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

is this true?

metallica fish

''It rains snakes in Australia: "A Sunday morning turned snaky when a this reptile fell from a tree on to a footpath in Fitzroy St, St Kilda. The corn snake, which is native to North America, was found outside the George public bar and was caught and held by one of the regulars until police arrived. Keith Larner from the Department of Sustainability and Environment said corn snakes were an exotic species and were illegal. "A person found in possession of a corn snake can face fines of up to $110,000 and/or five years' jail," he said. Bar manager Mick Hocking said the snake fell from the sky. "I was chatting to one of our security guards and all of a sudden we noticed something fall from the sky," Mr Hocking said. "At first we thought it was a rubber snake," he said. "Then it started moving and looking around. We've both gone: 'That's a snake'." The snake has been confiscated by DSE which is investigating the matter.''

is it true about them been illegal and the fine and jail thing?

cheers

Oh yay Australia has had a lot of problems with non native species affecting their own and doesn't play with stuff like that at all. Obviously that was a pet corn that either escaped or was released because the owner could not have legally kept it.

Australia to my knowledge has the strictest laws when it comes to keeping native and non native species due to massive devastation depleting native species. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure anything rare or close to extinction there can not be kept as pets or bred. I know for some stuff you actually have to have a liscense to keep or breed and others or just big no nos. I would have to look it up again to be sure but they have literally had to throw down the gauntlet on anyone keeping anything reptile without approval. Its sad, but when people bring in non native species and release them in an environment where they can thrive and breed this is what happens.

I'm not sure my opinion matters in this, but if I were in Australia, and a snake fell from the sky and landed on me, I'd PRAY for it to be a corn. Most snakes out that way are not friendly and very venomous.

Back