• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I've decided to give in

mbdorfer

I've been battling with a morning dove over the last month. She's been trying to build a nest behind my front door light. I keep tearing it down, but she is so persistent that I figured I'll put up with a liitle bird doo doo till she has her babies. She flies away everytime I open the front door of course, but here's her nest. Who am I to stop the procreation of life anyway :shrugs:

Sweet!

mbdorfer said:
I've been battling with a morning dove over the last month. She's been trying to build a nest behind my front door light. I keep tearing it down, but she is so persistent that I figured I'll put up with a liitle bird doo doo till she has her babies. She flies away everytime I open the front door of course, but here's her nest. Who am I to stop the procreation of life anyway :shrugs:

Now that is so very sweet!! I love the way they sound. So soulful. I had one build a nest on the top of my chimney and every morning they'd sing for me while I drank my coffee. :D

Congrats, you'll have to let us know when the birds pipp....hehehe or I mean peck.

Good for you, puttin up with poo!

-Tonya

actually...

actually, birds do pip their eggs. At least that is what it's called. They will usually break into the air cell of their egg approximately a day ahead of hatching. They may also crack a hole in the egg at this time. Called pipping. They take in air, and then get to the task of hatching within the next 24 hours or so. But you won't always see a hole that day before. But you can usually hear them, peeping. I have that happen with my cockatiels. You can check a nest, and hear them, but they haven't actually hatched yet.
Russell

Saw your post and it prompted me to take this picture. Mines a robin's nest at the back door. I can rip a filet knife from tail to gills on a walleye, but I couldn't knock it down either, I guess it's just our feminine side trying to find expression!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCN2144.JPG
    DSCN2144.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 119
Well now you will have good bird karma!
I had one of those mourning dove nests in a hanging planter last year, I let them stay there and the baby hatched but then the scrub jays got him :(

You would payof money a lot for that kind of decoration if you are into that country look. :grin01: susan

mbdorfer said:
She's been trying to build a nest behind my front door light.
dwyn127 said:
Saw your post and it prompted me to take this picture.

Sorry guys, I just can't help but feel that I've got you beat on this one :rolleyes:

Yes, this is the bbq grill at my mom's house...
grill1.jpg

Yes, those are eggs...
grill2.jpg

grill3.jpg

I've never had eggs made on a grill before. :) It's a European Starling's nest. She laid another egg the morning after I took this picture. My mom just moved to a new house this weekend so I moved this grill about 20 feet out of the way last weekend so the eggs could have half a chance of hatching. Unfortunately, it got blown over during a big thunderstorm not long afterwards.

zwyatt said:
Sorry guys, I just can't help but feel that I've got you beat on this one :rolleyes:
Yes, this is the bbq grill at my mom's house....
You just had to one-up-us didn't you? Well, I once saw a pterandadon nest with 4 eggs in it, but I didn't have a camera, so there!:grin01:

Just kidding, great picture. Looks like a bird commune.

Update

Looks like Mama is starting to settle in now. I can get in and out of the house without her flying away, as long as I don't speak to her! I used to come out and say "Hi Mama" and off she'd go. So now I keep my mouth shut and pretend she's not there :wavey:

Try not to jinx the baby-making this time Mike! :grin01: If they try and eat each other, we'll know who to blame! When I was a little kid we adopted a blue jay that had fallen out of it's nest...it was so cute. I'm pretty sure I named it something really original, like Jay.

Back