• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Jack Frost-The Petco rescue

northwestcorns

Well, just a quick update on Jack Frost. He has now eaten four times and shed this morning. He is so much bigger already than he was when I got him. I really think that he had only eaten maybe once before I got him. He is still so tiny. I love how pink he is. Would you guys consider him a "coral snow?" My other snow wasn't that pink when he was little.

Attachments

• jackfrost.jpg
    jackfrost.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 126
I think you'd have to see his pigment as an adult to know if he's coral or not. Lots f baby colors/patterns can change over the course of the sheds it takes to reach adulthood. He's very pretty though! I feel so bad for the two corn hatchlings they had at my petco. The "reptile expert" was afraid to touch them because they bit often (indicating either poor incubation temps or poor husbandry - or both, as I suspect) and they were cohabbing two males.

I have no doubt that there are poor husbandry practices going on, but also, I'm never surprised when hatchlings strike. They are very tiny. Striking is the only defense they have. We are very big. They HAVE to feel threatened when we reach in for them.

Even my hatchlings that have been with me for a few months will strike. I don't mind. As they get older and more confident, they become less "strikey."

I wish there were some way I could look into the future and see what Jack Frost's final coloration will be. My other snow is a snow stripe and he is almost completely white with yellow along his neck. You can only see his stripes right after he sheds.

One last thing; it might just be the angle of the picture or the way he's coiled up, but it looks like he has a kink near the vent? If so, two things: He may well be a coral that a breeder decided wouldn't fetch a good price from anyone but Petco, and he probably won't breed or will have breeding issues.

That's a nice little snow. Coral snows are actually Hypo Snows. The only way to tell if yours is a coral would be to breed it one day or if you know what the parents are. Hatchlings can vary so much as babies.

Back