• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Journal Taking

Jordan32

hey i was just wondering if any of you guys keep journals on your snake(s) and if so what do you usually write about

personally I keep a shed, feed and monthly weight record for each snake. Plus hundreds of photos, and post the better ones on here :)

I would find it tedious to enter all the data into a computer so I just have a notebook, I record feeding, shedding, laying and hatching dates, brumation, and any other stuff like regurges or other health concerns. At the front I paste business cards and write down any snake contacts I have like people who buy snakes or sell mice. In the back I have a list of the snakes I have, their age, hets, who I got it from and I have their acr papers in there.

I use "Free Herp" to keep track of everything. I can track shedding times, weights, lengths, breeding, health, and feeding all in one program. It has a feature that allows you to feed an entire rack at once, although this is only a huge help to those with many snakes. I only have 2 corns that are the same size, but I use the "feed a whole rack" option because I only have to enter the info once (time fed, weight and # of prey, outcome of feed).

Here is a link to download the program, it is freeware, so you can load it up and see if you like it.

Free Herp

I log Each Snakes Name, Hatchdate, Breeder, Gender, Morph, along with their feeds, sheds, weight and length, current photo (however I'm considering doing photo progression pics in my log)

I have mine set up in Excel, each of the Snakes has their own Worksheet and an extra worksheet for breeding projects.

However my husband the computer programmer is putting together a program for me that logs all this info in a program, along with info for when I have hatchlings etc, and I will be able to print out snake reports etc for when I do sales of hatchlings n that.

all of you have some really good ideas, right now im just using a notebook and keeping records of feeding,shedding,size, and health but im thinking about using an online record program

I used to use post it notes stuck on the side of each viv. Then I found herp care software at geckocam.com. I've also tried freeherp. The only reason I went back to HCS is because they give you feeding reminders.

I tried just writing it down on a scrap of paper that I kept on the side of the tank when I got my first snake, then I went a short period where I just marked the days they ate on a calendar.

Last year though, when we became really serious about breeding, I created a chart in excel that I used to track feedings, sheds, and health issues. This year I enhanced the charts to include all of the breeder info, genetics, weekly/monthly weigh-ins in addition to any health problems, feedings, and sheds.

I have both a hard copy where I write everything in manually so I can see each snake's records as we feed/weigh etc.. and then every couple of days I update the electronic versions of the files on the computer. I keep the charts on card stock in a binder, but can print a plain paper copy to go with any snake we sell in the future.

I didn't know there were actual programs out there that were created for just that purpose, and I imagine they are well put together and easy to use. I guess each person/owner/breeder has a different preference, and uses what works best in their opinion.

Jenn

I just drew up a simple table in Word that had three columns. One for date, one for prey item (what size), one for extra comments like shed dates, weights, and any other notes I wanted to scribble down.

Back