• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

jungle corn

hibiscus_girl

hi i'm a new member i got two snakes yesterday. i got warren a snow corn and a jungle corn (still to be named). i've just been looking them up and i've found that the jungle is a cross between a corn and a king, do you think it will be a danger to warren as i know kings will sometimes eat each other? they are only a few months old and warren is a bit bigger. other than that concern i really like them, they're great!!

As I understand this thread, you are keeping the two together. It's generally not recommended that you co-habitate for a number of reasons. I'd seperate them as soon as possible. I don't know if the king cross would cause a higher than normal possiblility of cannabilism, but I wouldn't risk it. There are generally more reasons that make it safer to seperate than one eating another anyway. Disease transmission, stress, and early breeding if mis-sexed or a much greater possibility.

MegF. said:
As I understand this thread, you are keeping the two together. It's generally not recommended that you co-habitate for a number of reasons. I'd seperate them as soon as possible. I don't know if the king cross would cause a higher than normal possiblility of cannabilism, but I wouldn't risk it. There are generally more reasons that make it safer to seperate than one eating another anyway. Disease transmission, stress, and early breeding if mis-sexed or a much greater possibility.

I second that!

First, congrats on picking up two beautiful critters (we do demand, I mean ask for pictures) and second, welcome to the forums!

As Meg mentioned, in that first response, it is wise to seperate the snakes for a number of reasons - most breeders, owners, and observers here on the forums will tell you the same thing. If you are looking for more in depth information and some of the horrible stories we've heard as a result of co-habbing, you can browse the Husbandry & Basic Care Forums, the Behavior Forum, and the Health Issues/Feeding Problems Forum - there are numerous threads in all three of those sub-forums regarding housing multiple snakes in one tank.

That said, I look forward to seeing pictures of both snakes...

Jenn

definitely separate them.
jungle corns are awesome (they're on my wish list) but they are 1/2 king snake. kings eat other snakes....but others have already given other valid reasons as to why to separate your snakes besides one being possibly cannibalistic.
if your tank is large enough, you can insert a divider and split the tank in half separating the two. just make sure the snakes cant get into each others enclosure. i've seen this happen at dumb pet stores with disasterous results...a king snake was housed next to a garter snake. king got into the garter's viv and had dinner.
if your tank is too small to split or you're worried about the snakes getting into each other's vivs, buy a sterilite container...i keep my hatchlings in these. they are fairly inexpensive and come in all sizes. just drill holes in the sides for ventilation and make sure the lid snaps on tight so the snake cant escape. i just got a few for $4.99 each at Target. they always have them for cheap.

I don't know about all Jungles, but all of the Jungles that I've dealt with has acted more like a King than a Corn, especially when it comes to eating.

connord94 said:
i third that!!

Uhhh... I fourth that?
icon_psychotic.gif

well thank you everyone for replying to my message. i will be separating them tomorrow which is as soon as i can (at least they have both eaten already!!!) i thought it was ok to put two together if they are the same kind, is that not the done thing then? they are both lovely but i have found them to have very different personalities, warren the snow is much more shy. the jungle (still not named) is very inquizative. i'll post some pics soon. thanks once again for the help. x

most reptiles are solitary creatures.
snakes, especially hatchlings, have been known to eat each other.
check out rack systems that many have built....we wouldnt have such things if we could keep all our snakes together.
when i caught my garter snake, i was told by a pet store clerk that i could house him with another snake no problem. but i researched and found out that really wasnt true. he was just trying to sell me another snake.
but please when you can, post pics of your snakes, i'm eager to see them! i bet they are lovely.

Back