• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Just" a Corn

The other day I had to stop in at my local pet store to pick up some fuzzies for Fen. Before I left, I stopped beside another customer near the door to look at a beautiful Boa that's been there for a couple of months. We started talking and he asked if I owned anything. I told him and was met with disappointment. "Oh," he said, "just a corn snake?"

Now, I'm not the type of person to be boastful or feel exceptional pride about every little thing in my life, but owning a corn snake is always something that I enjoy telling people about when the question of "do you have any pets?" comes up. I understand that some people may find corn snakes to be boring, given that they are rather easy to care for and have a less-than-formidable temperament, but I see no reason to underestimate how wonderful having a corn in your life can be simply because of their lack of exoticism.

So I don't own a boa, or a python, or one of those amazing little green snakes. But you know what? I had to start somewhere, and if I had the choice to go back and do it again, I'd be in the exact same position that I'm in right now. Not a thing would change, whether I had zero experience or a lifetime, because I find corns to be something magical. Anything that they lack in danger or excitement, they make up for in a ton of other ways. For example, just reading everyone's posts over the last seven months, I've come to realize and appreciate the full diversity of corn snakes' personalities, and hope that this is never something that gets taken for granted.

Also.. a rainbow couldn't be more colourful! I find myself time and time again immersed in the photography forum, completely mesmerized by the amazing array of silvers, purples, reds, browns, yellows, greens, pinks, on and on and on! And even snakes of the same morph are different. You know that saying 'As unique as a snowflake'? I think it should be 'As unique as a corn snake'! No two are ever alike but they're all lovely.

I realize that some corns with a difficult temperament do exist out there, but for the most part, I think that the fact that they are usually docile little creatures is another reason why they are so appealing, not a reason to be turned off from them. I love that Fen will sleep in my shirt sleeves or wrap around my watch and just be content to hang out. I wouldn't trade that for something more difficult to care for, no matter how much more experienced it may make me seem, or the "oooh ahh" factor that might come with it.

I don't want to give the impression that corn snakes are the end-all, be-all to my snake keeping pursuit. And I certainly am not putting down anyone who owns other snake breeds. I just wanted to recognize corns for the amazing animals they are. I hope to one day own, learn about, and come to know a variety of different snake breeds, and like each one for the unique characteristics that their breed has to offer. Maybe one day I will end up owning a red-tail, or a burmese. But for right now, I'm absolutely, perfectly happy with my "just a corn snake".

Sounds to me like they guy sees pets as just prizes. I like my "just a corn snake" too. People like him dont know how to appreciate them. They have such a wide range of colors and personalitys. I find people who only want rare exotics and look down on pets such as corns to not really care about the pet itself, but more of its "exotic'ness". As long as its rare its fine, could careless how it acts and eats as long as its "exotic" thats all that counts.

Ya it would be cool to own an exotic or fancy snake, but im plenty happy with my corn snake :D They may be plain to some people but I love there color diversaty and there docile nature (atleast from the ones I have seen) they tend to have.

Just my .02

I know exactly how you feel, I've come to find out that people don't appreciate your experience with snakes unless it's a python or boa. Which is just plain arrogant and stupid.

A lot of people who think that way like snakes MOSTLY because of one thing... how macho it can make them look. "I'm tough because I can control this giant snake." Or "I'm cool because I have a snake that LOOKS like it is dangerous." I really really hate it. If you own an animal just because you like the way you think it makes you LOOK... then you should NOT own animals.

Yeah people only seem to think pythons and boas are cool, 'specially at the expos.

I've been asked what I have a couple times what I have and then I've been met with disapointment when I tell them. I think people who own leopard geckos or really geckos in general are treated the same way.

Well, I have a few pythons and a few boas in my collection, and even my Rainbow Boas aren't as vivid and in-your-face colorful as "just" my amel stripe and Okeetee corns. People who see these creatures as "boring" just don't realize what they're missing! Perhaps you should send them here, so they can see what beautiful and wonderful creatures corn snakes are :).

My first snake, this round of snake keeping, as an adult, on my own, in Florida, was a corn. I joined this forum, and started reading. Someone gave me a Cali King. Then a wc Eastern Hoggy. I found out about Tri-color Hogs and had to have one. Then I got a Nelsons Milk. I got Jake the Florida King. I appreciated the corns, and all the pretty morphs, but I wanted to experience a wide variety of snakes. And then I got three corns from Carol, and my first "future project," and- I fell in love with cornsnakes. The simplicity of the cornsnake is what makes it so enjoyable. Easy to understand genetics, easy to breed if you want, relatively cheap even for a brand-new morph. Seriously, what's the most expensive cornsnake you've ever heard of, $2000? Compare that to a ball python! Some may see this as a disadvantage; I see it as being able to afford cutting-edge morphs maybe not on the ground floor, but after a year or so! And the cornsnake itself is a friendly, cooperative, easy to care for animal. I just love them. Now I have a few kings, and Noah the BOA!!! but my thirst for other snakes has been quenched and I can appreciate them in other people's collections; I don't need them in my own. I'm quite happy with "just a cornsnake."

I agree with being happy with corn snakes. I got an albino nelsons milksnake and the more I handle it and try to tame it the more I like my corns. It is so much more difficult to deal with than I thought. Corns seem so easy to tame and are much more docile. I am content with "just a cornsnake" also.

I dislike fallacious notions that imply or suggest anything is "just a ________ ".....

We all have numerous interests, hobbies, and pastimes that make our lives pleasurable, fulfilled, and gratifying. Some of these things overlap with other people's and that is interesting. Some of them don't, and that can also be vaguely interesting...from an academic point of view.

There is no "hierarchy" in hobbies or pastimes....the notion of comparing them on a scale is really irrelevant, inconsequential, and indeed there is no scale in existence for the folly of such comparisons.

Comparing them would be like saying hinduism is better than buddhism, or vice versa. Or blue is a better favorite color than green, or vice versa.

I was thinking about getting a BP but I now that i have had some time to look over a fourm. I would want to keep my Corn anyday. BP have more problems with eating ect. and they are plain con pair to my baby.

I completely agree Allalaskan. If someone else has a hobby of keeping snakes for the purpose of using them as ornaments, then that is their right and decision. But I find it completely unfair to look down upon others who want them for other reasons.
And vetusvates, exactly. Very well put.

Thanks for the input guys

I have to deal with this a loooooot from my friends and family. Im happy with my 'just a corn'. dont get me wrong I plan on branching out in to bps but if I had to do it over again I would still have penny for a first snake.

WE like to keep snakes that are colorful, docile and easy.
If THEY prefer brown, bitey and difficult that is their business!!

I thought that EVERYONE knows that RED is the best favorite color of all :).

:grin01: :roflmao: This brought back some fond childhood memories of squabbles between my brother and I concerning who got to use what board game pieces... :rolleyes:

The only place where I've ever felt slightly judged for owning "just" Corn Snakes is over at iherp where it seems like Ball and Green Tree Pythons are the big thing. I think I "over-read" some comment on someone else's page.. I didn't even feel directly put down or anything. It didn't really offend me too terribly, I still feel very proud of my collection.

I must be talking to the Corn Snake lovers at expos!! I've never encountered disappointment. It seems like the majority of people I talk to about snakes (not other fellow keepers) are freaked out that I even have snakes in the first place.. and are relieved that I "just" own Corns.

I'll stand up for our Corns though, because they really are the best, most all encompassing snakes out there. They're the snake ambassadors of the world.. I've read accounts here and witnessed myself, people who'd had life long fear or snakes, and/or never touched one, be converted, or have their first experience with a corn!

As some people have said, over the years I have had a few different species in my collection, but none of them have stuck around like Corns have. There's just something special about these guys. I love the snow flake comment someone made.. it's so true! I used to think more narrowly and only see the beauty in the cookie cutter snakes, the "perfect" example of their morphs, but the longer I've been in this hobby, the more I appreciate seeing all different kinds of corns for their own subtle or amazing beauty, just the way they are.

I'm very proud of my JUST Corn snakes, regardless of what anyone else has to say!!
(Although if anyone gives me heat I'll just show them my Tarantula collection and scare them off a little...):flames: :crazy01:

Back