• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

just a few more guys from my clutch

JCam99

Okay this is the last time I'll post pics of these guys (until after they shed a few times at least :) ). The amel pic is the only amel we hatched out of the group. The anotherguy pic gives a good representation of what all the normals in this clutch look like. And of course the lavender pic is a lavender. I'm glad I figured out how to take decent pics now.

One of our lavenders we had hatch out was really deformed. It only has one eye and a nasty kink right behind its neck. The guy is active, moves around fine, drinks water, but I don't know if it will ever be able to eat. I just don't have the heart to put it down. After it sheds I'm going to try and get it to eat, but regardless the snake is going to need a lot of TLC to make it. I hate it when things like that happen.

Attachments

• anotherlavender.JPG
    anotherlavender.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 60
  • anotherguy.JPG
    anotherguy.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 51
  • amel.JPG
    amel.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 67
they are gorgeous. I am a newbe. Want to say Hi also..

Leslie

0.1 albino motley
0.0.1 miami or okeetee
0.0.1 red ear glider turtle

Nice snakes~

Well it might be better to put that 'one eyed' down since it has a bad kink~

I remember a couple years ago I saw a no eyed corn (not born with eyes) but still active, it was better to put it down 1) not to pass on the genes 2) the animal doesn't doesn't have to suffer~~

Are you sure that last one is just amel? It still looks like an opal.

Jared I replied to your PM as well.

I have a ghost corn that was given to me by a friend, that has a SEVERE kink at the back of its head.. So it is literally at a maybe 85degree angle, but kind of diagonal as well, not straight up.. He's 2-3 years old now, and eats just fine.. But he's definatly dwarfed.. Only around 2.5ft long.. I was told that he wasn't born kinked, but developed it over time, as did the whole clutch.. Kind of odd.. Anyway, don't give up on the little guy.. just see if he eats..

What's a kink?

Anyway, i don't think you should be to soon to kill. Look first to see if he's doing fine. If he's eating, drinking and cruising in his viv he can probably live a good life.

I'm not going to put the little guy down until after I know for a fact it won't eat or survive. I will say that the kink has improved since the first day it hatched. On day 1 it was very bad, very obvious, but the kink has appeared to be less rigid and the snake has developed more head flexibility. So I'm hopeful there anyways. I didn't take pics of the guy...it made me feel so bad just seeing him I kind of put him in his cage and let him be. Couldn't even take a pic. I will after he sheds though. My friends says I should do it anyways for 'documentation purposes.' okay.

Later
Jcam99

I don't see how having one, or even no eyes leads to suffering. Many animals do just fine blind, and snakes certainly rely on their sense of smell more than their sight. A c/b snake that's fed f/t would never have to worry about surviving, and as long as you don't breed it (and that's the owners responsibility to see that it doesn't) there should be no problem with bad genes in the gene pool. A kink is just what it soulnds like Jicin. A bend in the spine that shouldn't be there. It seems to be congenital most often, although judging by the one post, they can develope later. That sounds a little odd to me. I would figure it's more likely that they were there, and they just didn't see them.

about the kinks that form later...

I remember reading a long time ago that there is a disease that affects boids and pythons, can't remember the disease's name, but anyways it is an infection of the spine that causes kinks to spontaneously appear. I've seen pics of burmese pythons that have it so bad they are bent at 90 degree angles. These guys usually have to me put down b/c they can't straighten out. An x-ray of the spine reveals the vertebrae become fused in places, causing the kinkage.

Don't know if colubrids are susceptible to the disease as well but just thought I'd share that.

Jcam99

Back