• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just a Q

humidity

hey adolf
i heard you can take spray bottle and spray the inside of the viv or put the water on the heating pad that will make the humidity rise.
that is wat i did although my snake has only shed 1 skin so far. still a bit joung hope it helped.

Just spray the tank frequently with a misting bottle, or even soak the snake in an inch or or two of lukewarm water.

hey adolf
i heard you can take spray bottle and spray the inside of the viv or put the water on the heating pad that will make the humidity rise.
that is wat i did although my snake has only shed 1 skin so far. still a bit joung hope it helped.

Oh, sure, go ahead and put water on the heating pad. That'll cause a fire, and if you put it on the glass above it, it'll make the glass CRACK. NEVER EVER do that!

Just spray the tank frequently with a misting bottle, or even soak the snake in an inch or or two of lukewarm water.

Oh, sure, go ahead and put water on the heating pad. That'll cause a fire, and if you put it on the glass above it, it'll make the glass CRACK. NEVER EVER do that!

LOL...was told by well respected pet shop to put the water container on top of the heating pad as it would increase the humidity. ps only had a snake now for about 2 months. trying to get more info myself and only relaying info i got from petshop.

Moving the water bowl closer to the warm side of the vivarium is sufficient to raise the humidity. Misting or creating a humid hide (search!) for the snake when in blue is preferable and less likely to cause condensation too :)

I have my snakes in tanks with mesh lids and when they go blue I keep a damp towel covering most of the lid until they shed. It usually bumps the humidity up to 60-70% and I get perfect sheds every time!

You could always give them a good 20 minute soak in enough water to cover their entire body. Plus some snakes LOVE the water, mine love baths. I normally soak mine when they no longer look to be in blue (returned to their normal color). They usually shed 2 - 3 days later.

Make sure you are particularly aware of the water temps. Lukewarm is a vague term IMHO and warm to us can be too hot for a corn. I can't say for certain, but I recall that someone uses 78 degree water for her snakes. I would definately take caution before putting the snake in anything warmer than 80 degrees. Maybe someone will chime in with more concrete temp. settings?

A humid hide or shed box, as mentioned earlier is very easy to make.

Get a container with a lid, cut a hole either in the lid or side, put either damp, not drippy wet paper towel (several kind of scrunched up) in the container, add snake so they know what the hide is. This is the one I prefer, I have been told it has less chance of allowing mold to grow, not sure if that is true but I avoid risks to my snakes when ever possible. Also paper towel is so cheap and to put a few damp sheets of it in to a plastic container every month is nothing, I also feel I can control the amount of wetness in the shed box better with paper towel. Water temp that I use is slightly cool to my touch as that will be about the temp of the corn snakes skin.

OR

Get a container with a lid, cut a hole either in the lid or side, put damp, not drippy wet sphagnum moss, quite a lot of it(you want snakey to be able to crawl through it), in the container, add snake so they know what the hide is. Water temp that I use is slightly cool to my touch as that will be about the temp of the corn snakes skin.

If your snake feels they need the humidity, or likes the shed box you have created they will use it. I have two here who go in and do not come out for days(one was a problem shedder before I offered the box) and then shed perfect. I have another who comes and goes during her shed cycle and then sheds perfect(she was a problem shedder when I got her). The other three do fine on their own.

Using a shed box, if your snake likes it, avoids the whole mist tank daily which messes up the glass. As well it avoid other possible issues that can arise from daily misting. Such as; if over misted mold or bacteria can grow, if your substrate gets to damp then you have to change it all out and the extra work of having to mist daily. So I prefer to offer a shed box first and see of my snakes use them.

@Nroc for bathes or soaks I use my infared temp gun and make sure the water is not more than the 85 degrees their UTH is, this has never been a problem and the vet has told me that it is a safe temp for bathes.

^^^^^ What she said^^^^^^

You can also create humidity by using the water dish. Make sure the dish has a lot of surface area. Its not the depth its the amount of air access to the water. Put a lid or cover over half the cage lid (40 gallon locking lid tank). I use a towel. Of course the wife must use a matching towels to decor the room.

There's another thing that I forgot about last night in my sleepiness. If you have a water dish (custom made or not) that's big enough for the snake to soak in, you probably don't need to worry about the humidity because that mostly just helps the snake shed; they won't die if the humidity is lower than the suggested range.

LOL...was told by well respected pet shop to put the water container on top of the heating pad as it would increase the humidity. ps only had a snake now for about 2 months. trying to get more info myself and only relaying info i got from petshop.

Respected doesn't mean smart. And, not all respect is from the same thing. Maybe these guys just sell really healthy pets?

Make sure you are particularly aware of the water temps. Lukewarm is a vague term IMHO and warm to us can be too hot for a corn. I can't say for certain, but I recall that someone uses 78 degree water for her snakes. I would definately take caution before putting the snake in anything warmer than 80 degrees. Maybe someone will chime in with more concrete temp. settings?

I meant 'lukewarm' as in room temperature. It's a term my family has used for years, so the little light doesn't go off in my head about that... sorry. xD

What I have been donig for the past week and a half now (my baby is in blue right now) is I have been putting a wet rags on top of the hood with a plastic thing on top of it to help hold humidity in and it raises the humidity to a perfect 50%. Now the rags are not damp and are not dripping wet. I get them dripping wet and then ring them out till they arent dripping anymore. You have rewet the rags just once a day.
while doing this there is still air and light getting into the tank. I would try this. Works perfectly for me here in az, course then again our humidity is pretty low. :)
Hope this helps!

Good to hear, now do we get post shed pics to she what the little one looks like in the "new" skin??

Back