• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just a question....

ltsweety2

So ive had my corn snake for about 8 months she eats good sheads good and i know they dont come out but at night but since its been winter i barly see her unless i go looking..
Now its almost spring but about 2 months ago i put a moist hide in her tank...
And thats all she is usually in... Spend days in that box...
So i worry and check on her she pops up like hey lol no problems...
So i guess im asking is it normal or anything i can do for her? So do wonder around as much or maybe i just dont catch her?
60bdbed665fc687987e0fccef696d8ae.jpg

This just a cute pic of her and my son...

Keya

First, your picture of your son is adorable and your snake is beautiful.

I leave moist hides in for my snakes all the time. The only worry with a moist hide is if it is too wet or dirty. Those things can cause skin problems or respiratory problems.

You don't say what you are using in your hide. I use sphagnum moss and have no problems. If you are using sphagnum, just make sure you squeeze the water out well so it is damp rather than wet. It ends up in a ball after I squeeze it so I have to fluff it out again. Replace it periodically, but replace immediately if it gets smelly.

Also, if you are concerned, you can rearrange the enclosure a bit to see if that prompts your snake to use a different hide.

It may simply be that your house was dry in winter and your snake sought out more humid air. I find my snakes to be very smart about using their humid hides or not. I guarantee that when you are not looking, especially at night, your snake is out and about. What you are experiencing in not seeing them move is very normal.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
I agree with what DollysMom said above.

Our snakes will hang out where they are most comfortable at any given moment. And all snakes are different and all Living Conditions are different.

My snake is very active in the warmer months, but it is very cold here in the winter. He likes to stay hidden away in a warm spot. If I take him out and play with him, he's fine. But when I put him back into the cage he immediately goes back to that warm spot.

And now, even though it almost the Middle of April, we had snow flurries yesterday. It's still very cold here. The humidity is very low right now because I'm using my heater. All of these things effect our snakes too.

I expect the temperatures around here to warm up in a few weeks, and he will be roaming about again like last summer.

Your snake is probably staying in the moist box because your air is very dry. If you have a Hygrometer you can see. A hygrometer measures Humidity. A lot of people get cheap ones and put them in their snake's cages. You can get one for around 10 bucks at most pet shops on online. It will tell you what the Humidity in the cage is. 40% to 60% are considered normal. If it's less than about 35%, your snake will feel dry, and might even have shedding problems.

So ive had my corn snake for about 8 months she eats good sheads good and i know they dont come out but at night but since its been winter i barly see her unless i go looking..
Now its almost spring but about 2 months ago i put a moist hide in her tank...
And thats all she is usually in... Spend days in that box...
So i worry and check on her she pops up like hey lol no problems...
So i guess im asking is it normal or anything i can do for her? So do wonder around as much or maybe i just dont catch her?
60bdbed665fc687987e0fccef696d8ae.jpg

This just a cute pic of her and my son...

Keya

Mine all get extra active early evening onwards ..

Back