• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just caught a baby Leopard Gecko!

restes

It is very young and about 1.5" long from nose to tail tip. It is not injured and seems quite healthy.

Do you think I can keep it alive? Should I just feed it baby crickets?
How long can they go without eating?

I have it in a small 1' tank right now just on the plastic and i put a VERY shallow water dish and a piece of paper tower in there for the moment.

The story here is that I am in Texas for the summer and heading home tomorrow. I was loading my car and when I came back in and closed the door there it was on my wall! Like some sort of parting gift. I will do the responsible thing to care for this little guy or release it if you all feel he is too young to try and get to eat. Ideally I would love to keep him, a leopard gecko is seriously the next pet (beyond my single corn) that I planned to get. Just seems too good to be true.

I don't think it's a leopard, they don't have sticky pads, there's another one mentioned somewhere else on here that does and it looks a lot like a leopard but I don't remember what it was.

Likely a Texas banded gecko.
I'm not sure about their protection status or collection laws though.

F28WQ.jpg

I may have been a bit excited when making this thread. It doesn't look banded but here is a picture to tell for yourself. It is probably closer to 2" long.

2hd0k1u.jpg

I am driving a lot the next 2 days and figured I would bring this little guy along. I have a spare UTH pad. Will this suffice for a gecko? I will look up care sheets in a bit.

So i checked out a care sheet and saw that the young ones should eat every day. Caught some bugs off the light outside but I am pretty sure I killed them because I wanted to ensure they wouldn't just fly around in my place. Do you think it will eat them if it gets hungry enough?

Hemidactylus. It's a female. They all are.
No fertile males are known to exist. Handy lil roach eaters.
Quite at home living behind a painting or a crack in the surface somewhere inside or outside the home.
Free bug control. Let it go.
It's not like it's a cat or something dangerous to native wildlife when gone feral.

Mediterranean house gecko. Cute little thing! Sorry, I don't know much about them and can't help more. I know several people on here do keep them as pets though.

Back