• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just got him yesterday

xspitfire469x

Hey guys, I just got my snake yesterday, they didn't tell me how old he is, or what kind, or if its a male or female, but he is really young. I have him in a 55 gallon tank.
Is that too big for a baby corn?
Also Ive noticed that for about the 6 hours that i have been up today, he has not been active at all, yesterday he was moving around the tank quite a lot. All he has been doing today is staying in the hide on the hot side, hes been in there since yesterday before I went to sleep.
Is that normal?
My last question is I still have a problem with my hot side temperatures. I heard you needed the glass at the bottom to be 90. When I finally got it there I kept my repti-temp 500r to make sure it stops there, but when I came back after about an hour or two it had dropped to 76 with the dial in the same place, can anyone tell me why this happens? And also if anyone has the repti-temp 500r on the dial around what color is 90?

Hey guys, I just got my snake yesterday, they didn't tell me how old he is, or what kind, or if its a male or female, but he is really young. I have him in a 55 gallon tank.
Is that too big for a baby corn?
Also Ive noticed that for about the 6 hours that i have been up today, he has not been active at all, yesterday he was moving around the tank quite a lot. All he has been doing today is staying in the hide on the hot side, hes been in there since yesterday before I went to sleep.
Is that normal?
My last question is I still have a problem with my hot side temperatures. I heard you needed the glass at the bottom to be 90. When I finally got it there I kept my repti-temp 500r to make sure it stops there, but when I came back after about an hour or two it had dropped to 76 with the dial in the same place, can anyone tell me why this happens? And also if anyone has the repti-temp 500r on the dial around what color is 90?

55 gallons is huge for a baby. Just make sure you put a ton of hides of varying types so he feels secure. They don't like a lot of open space. It is perfectly normal for the snake to curl up in a hide and stay there for extended hours and even days. Plus, it is a new environment and the hide makes him feel secure. Corns are nocturnal, so he may be coming out at night to explore or get water. Actually, your warm side is too warm. Try to get it more around 82-85. I use a rheostat, so I can't answer the thermostat question.
Can you post some pics? We would love to see your snake. :)

OK thanks, I have some pics. It is really plane at the moment, I have one hide for the cold side and one for the warm side, and a water dish. Other than substrate and thermometers and the snake theres nothing else in there. Im going to get some new hides and decor in the next couple of days, does anybody have any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC00348.JPG
    DSC00348.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00347.JPG
    DSC00347.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 72
Oh, cute little guy or gal. At the pet store you can find a variety of hides. There are those half logs, rocks that they can get under, whole hollow logs that they can crawl through, branches they can climb on. At Michaels you can get some fake plants and vines to put in. You can make it as fancy or plain as you like, but the hides are the most important.
Are you using a uth or heat lamp? If you have a uth you don't need the light at all. I think the rock thing he's in is supposed to be face down, he will feel more secure. They like to be enclosed.

He needs something more like this to feel secure.

Attachments

• Lila Arrives 009_800.jpg
    Lila Arrives 009_800.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 70
Nice tank, I will be going to the store to get some more hides and decor today or tomorrow. And I do have a UTH, Should I just not use the light at all then? And I guess you can do it that way too, but on the box it looks like how I have it, theres supposed to be a cover there so it feels more like a cave, and its removable so you can look through, I removed it for the picture, but its always on.

I agree, there are a lot of wide open spaces in that tank that could make a small snake feel vulnerable. I don't like putting a lot of things in to have to clean, so I tend to put smaller snakes in smaller habitats. If you had a 10 gallon with the same things in it, it would be perfect IMO.

See the hide on the far right? That's Lila's poop stockpile hiding place. She always goes in there.

Nanci

And if money is a problem, you can make awesome hides out of paper towel rolls, small boxes with holes in them, or crinkled up paper towels with lots of folds to hide in. No need to spend a ton of money unless you want it to look "real". I have found that my snakes prefer used ziplock bag containers and paper towel rolls over any store-bought hide. Good luck and gorgeous baby!

Back