• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just introducing myself

pkeafergus

Hi! I've been reading alot here for the past 3 weeks and finally signed up last week so I could see more of the pictures - they just weren't there when I was a visitor. My son has asked for a home for a cornsnake for Christmas - then wants to use his own money to get a snake. He is a 2nd grader ( 7 years old) and studying reptiles ( they have had the following snake visitors in class: Ball Python, corn, carpet python and a King - He liked the corns the best - thank goodness! ) at school has turned him into a snake enthusiast. This is the first pet he has ever really wanted so I have been researching so that once December gets here I will be prepared to asssit in any way my son needs to care for his new pet.
First I went searching for a local breeder - that took me about a week - since he is buying the snake himself - he doesn't need to add $40 shipping. I found someone who says he will make sure to have 2-3 cornsnakes in December for my son to choose from and lucky for me he's only about 15 miles away - and will be available if we have any questions or problems after we get the snake.
I've used alot of links from here to learn different things already, my biggest thing to decide right now is about food - I know we want to use Frozen/thawed pinkies and it looks like I have 1 fairly close petstore were they are $1 each ( vs $2 at Petco) I was wondering at about what age does a cornsnake settle on a size of prey where it will stick with the same size so that it becomes reasonable to buy in bulk online? I'm guessing the average snake will not go thru 50 pinkies before it outgrows them. My son and I love looking at all the snake pictures on this site.
I have to admit I am looking forward to getting a new pet as well - he even has my 2 year (his little sister) old excited about snakes. We have 2 cats that are 12 years old and a fish we've had about 4 years. I just hope he can come up with a better name than 'Corny' once he gets the snake...so far that is what he has suggested - he might not find the name as great in 10 years..but who knows. This is a great site!

Hello and welcome. :wavey:

There are some site online that will let you mix & match different sizes, as long as you reach the minimum quantity. You can also give the snake 2 items at once before going up in size (some people here have fed 3 at a time).

I think Corny is an adorable name. Your son can also wait until he gets the snake to name it. Possible names can be based on: the color of the snake (Rose?), the type of snake (Amelia), etc. Some are namesakes (a best friend, a character in a story), even a favorite number. Just have fun with it!

What a cool mom you are. :D

I couldn't have snakes as a child because my dad doesn't like them. So we grew up with cats. As soon as I moved out I got a dog, then two cat, then three geckos, and I'm now looking at snakes.

Good thing the husband doesn't mind them. *laughs*

Good luck in your search. :)

Thanks for the Welcomes.
My son and I have been here almost everyday - we love looking at all the snake pictures - and he also likes going to www.mikescornsnakes.com and doing the puzzles...so it Mike is part of this forum...Thanks for that section of your site!
I have a 20G Long Critter Keeper for him already and plan to order everything else from reptilesupply - including the Kathy Love book - I will make that order around the end of the month...probably would have already but my husband thinks this interest might go away...I don't think so...my son talks about snakes pretty much everyday and how he can't wait til December...and I wonder if my snake has hatched yet...etc...Now he's waiting for the breeder to send pictures when the eggs hatch - he's already sent a picture of the eggs... Nice thing about a 7 year old - he isn't too concerned about a specific morph - just having a snake is good - even though he hopes it is colorful - prefers the normals and red/orange varieties more then the snow, ghosts, granites... which surprised me since his favorite color is black - I thought he'd like the gray ones more. And as mom - I just hope he gets a docile one that doesn't bite him!

-Patty ( my son's name is Eric)

Welcome to the site!!!!!!!! There are a lot of great people here. Everybody is always willing to help.
Be sure to read the FAQ section in the forums. They answer a lot of questions. There is a search feature that answers many questions also.

Check for local reptile shows. There are usually a good selection of corns to choose from. You can get f/t mice a lot cheaper at reptile shows than at pet stores. I go to one about every two months to get mice.

Snake is finally here

My son got his snake setup for Christmas and the breeder hand delivered his little guy on the 27th. We've been leaving him alone but were happy to see him out exploring last night and this morning we can see lots of places where he went in and out of the aspen. Here are a couple pics from his arrival to his new home. Eric is waiting for New Years day - that will be the first day he takes him out and we will feed him. Eric hasn't decided for certain but he is leaning towards naming him 'Onix' :dancer:

Attachments

• snake3151.JPG
    snake3151.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 35
  • IM003152a.jpg
    IM003152a.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 35
aaahhhhhh! :bowdown:
Thats a beautiful baby corn! :crazy02:
It looks just like mine!! :grin01:
aaaaahhhhhh! :bowdown:
Congrats! :cheers:

nismo

Congratulations. He's a cute li'l bugger.

I have an Onyx, too, but mine is a kingsnake.

Enjoying our Baby

So far all the reading seems to have paid off - and luckily we haven't had any issues with Onix. We have fed him twice without any problems - put mouse in feeding tub, catch snake and put him in, close lid and put in viv and wait a bit - then open and the first time he was ready to crawl out on his own and the 2nd time he had to be gently poured out ( was only in tub about 10 minutes - my son actually saw him for the 2nd half of the feeding) the first time he sat on the mouse and just watched us - so we turned the lights out and left him alone while we ate dinner then after dinner ( about 30 minutes later)came back up and he was ready to be out of the feeding container with the mouse in his belly.
Luckily one of his favorite places to be when is isn't in hiding is up at the front of the viv sitting on a stick - so we can watch him for a few minutes til he decides to go hide again - but we can see all of him for those few minutes.

Thanks for the comments on the earlier pictures - we think he is pretty cute as well - he was the only normal in a clutch of 9 - the others were snows and anerys. He is almost 3 months old now.

Attachments

• Onix 1_8_07.jpg
    Onix 1_8_07.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 9
  • onix 1_6_07.jpg
    onix 1_6_07.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 9
He's stunning.
I love his patterns!

I'm glad your feedings went well.
And welcome to the fourms!

Back