• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just one slug? Where's the rest of the eggs?

CornBoy

Hi,
Yesterday was day 10 after her pre-lay shed for my 3 yr Amel, Jenny. I was predicting she would lay that day, and she did. Just 1 slug! She is obviously full of eggs, I figure at least 16, but today she is still fussing around like she has been for the last 10 days.

Has anyone had this experience before?
Thanks,
Rob

They can drop single slugs or eggs for a couple days before laying the entire clutch. Does she have a lay box, and does she like it?? I would reduce checking to twice a day or less, if you can stand it. She needs to be completely stress free now.

OK, Thanks Nanci! That's what I had hoped. :)
Yes, everything is in place! She is hanging out on top of/around/inside the lay box constantly. Yesterday I did drape a pillow case over the front of her 20 long to give her more privacy. So excited to be expecting our second clutch!
Thanks again!

I agree with Nanci. It is not uncommon for a few slugs to be dropped before the rest of the clutch.

If the mossy lay box is too wet she might be looking for a more suitable location. Make sure to wring out the moss as well as possible.

She laid 14 eggs last night!
However only 5 look decent :(
Oh well, could be worse I guess! Thanks again to all.

Really? oh thanks, that does make it seem better. :)
Yes, pretty close guesstimate, 1 slug two days earlier, making it 15 total.
I took her out of the lay box last night and gave her a once-over, she was a little leaner but still strong -- no remaining lumps. I placed a f/t in front of the entrance to her hide and she took it before she knew what was going on. She's always been a good eater. :)
My (very) first round of egg laying with her next-door-neighbor was different in a couple of ways, the best being the 19 perfect eggs - they remind me of really fresh mushrooms! I got spoiled by that I guess!! :)
Thanks again!

Back