• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just out of curiousity...

enginerd

How easy is it for a snake to develop a resporitory infection? And what are some of the factors that influence getting a resporitory infection? If a snake gets an RI, does this mean they are not properly being taken care of?

Thank you,
Justin

ri is cause from dust, so if they get it it just means that your substate is kinda dusty, and some time dust just accumilates over aperiod of time(my guess)

Um, no.......a RI is not caused by dust.

Think of it more like a snake cold.

Generally, the assumption can be made that "something isn't quite right" with your set-up if your snake develops a RI.

infection

the pathological state resulting from the invasion of the body by pathogenic microorganisms i.e. a bacterium or virus

Creeper made a clicking sound when we brought her home, a classic sign of a stuffed up nose and probably an RI as well. I don't know if she was ill already or not, but after a few days of being here, she was quite ill, all snotty and congested. She just felt awfkul. Alot of the folks here said the stress of the move from the herp store to home could have weakened her immune system. Also - (can you believe this??) - the salesperson at the herp store sold me cedar bedding. Of course I didn't know any better at the time, and everyone here said to get rid of the cedar asap. Which I did right away. She has aspen bedding now. Also the temperature and humidity are important to pay attention to. We keep Creeper at around 84 degrees with a UTH and between 40-50 percent humidity. If it gets too dry, I dampen some paper towels and put them in her viv. That brings the humidity up almost immediately. That was a great tip I got here. Works like a charm. Also, I replace her bedding and clean her viv and "furniture" monthly and change water 1-2 times per week. I only use filtered water for Creeper. Sorry - didn't mean to ramble, but this is pretty much everything we did for Creeper and she got well and hasn't been sick since. So maybe this will help you too. :)

Often times, you can progress through an RI with an increase in temps; think of it as "inducing a fever" to help break down the infection. Obviously, you don't want to cook your snake, but a 5 degree increase on the warm side of the viv can "catalyze" the process. A ceramic heat emitter (wattage appropriate for the viv size) is good for this.

regards,
jazz

Back