• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just want to show off my new hide I built, inspired by a DIY thread

So this morning I woke up and decided to build checkers a new hide because he didn't like his old one, I think it was to big, and he would just hide under the paper towel (which I use as a substrate). I got the idea from a DIY thread and wanted to show what I made! After putting it in his went straight to it and seems to like it a lot! :D Im so happy he has a place he feels secure in now.

Theres a pic of it upside down, front view, and view on checkers going inside (which was taken through the screen lid so its not that great)

Attachments

• photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 164
  • photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 164
  • photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 164
oh, that's a fantastic idea! i especially like the little "door" sort of thing you've made, i bet your snake feels very secure in there! i think i may have to steal this idea one day!

Ya it came out very good, the door was a last minute addition to add space and make it darker inside, also its so simple and toke very little time, one mistake I made even though I thought of it before hand I forgot at the last minute, the "supporting" stick across should have been slightly on a diagonal instead of straight across, it ended up popping the roof up a bit but I just stuck a half stick in there and used lots of glue to make it fully closed! Also I find these much nicer looking, and MUCH cheaper then buying a hide. A small hide around here goes for 35 dollars, this cost me probably around 50 cents, tops a dollar. The wood adds some nice character and looks better in my viv because its very plain and doesnt have any kind of natural green look to it :$ (Im not very artistic/creative)

one thing that you might want to think about is maybe there's a way to seal up the popsicle sticks, in case you ever need to clean the hide?

i don't know why but i swear to god snakes like to poop on the most porous, hard to clean surfaces in their ENTIRE vivs! in my experience, anyways, lol.

but like you said, only cost about a dollar to make, if that, so i suppose if you have to make a couple of them then so be it.

Hm thats very true, I did think about that but I figured its worth giving him a hide he'd feel secure in for now, although you can probably either hot glue cover the whole thing (which might be a little expensive but will make it last virtually forever and still be cheaper then a store bought) or I was thinking you could cover it in plastic wrap, although it would take some experimenting to get that down :D =O I GOT IT! , Melt some wax in a pot or however you can, and dip the entire thing inside! Need like good wax though I dont think candle wax would work cause I believe it would just flake, but defiantly something worth trying!

You could also just seal it with a wood sealer or stain - that might be much easier than covering it with wax!

Back