• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Just wondering...

serpentina

What the deuce???
I live in the midwest and we have been experiencing some storms for the past few days. During this our power flickered out for a few minutes. Thankfully it went on right away again but, I was wondering what you do in case of power outages? How do you keep the viv warm if that happens? Please help for future reference. I know this is bound to happen one day and want to be prepared.

Every possible alternate heating method I can think of is done through electricity. But I feel your snake will do fine without heat for a few days... provided it doesn't get too cold. In the "Husbandry/Basic Care FAQ" thread, it states,

Q: Do I need to supply extra heat to my snakes?
A: Maybe. It depends on where you live and what the temperatures are like wherever your snake is being held. More than likely, extra heat will be needed at some time during the year.

Q: Do I need to supply a temperature gradient for my snakes?
A: No, you do not. It is not necessary to supply a gradient for your snakes. However, would you enjoy being in a place where you could not control the temperature? Letting the snakes choose it's optimal temperature is best, if possible.

Hope this helps.

Hi :wavey:

I'm in MO and probably got hit by the same storms. This time of year it doesn't bother them to much as it's not that cold here. For the winter you can use heat packs. The kind that are used for shipping snakes in cold weather. The first time I had this problem it was bitter cold! I put them in pillow cases under my shirt until the heat came back on. Didn't take me long to realise heat packs would be a good investment :cool: .

Thanks for the advice. It was bothering me because my parents have central air-conditioning so it does get cold here (in the house) even in summertime.

Muggle said:
Hi :wavey:

I'm in MO and probably got hit by the same storms. This time of year it doesn't bother them to much as it's not that cold here. For the winter you can use heat packs. The kind that are used for shipping snakes in cold weather. The first time I had this problem it was bitter cold! I put them in pillow cases under my shirt until the heat came back on. Didn't take me long to realise heat packs would be a good investment :cool: .

Hey Muggle.... I have to giggle at this!!! While it's a great idea -- I got this visual of me with 25 snakes up my shirt... ROFL And those damn white sided black rat snakes are still biting and musking me... yuck!!!

I'm in Utah where we can have some pretty cold days in the winter. AND I decided I just had to have this charming 50 year old house that has 50 year old insulation. I think having heat packs on hand is simply smart! :D

Thanks for the good advice and VERY funny visual....

-Tonya

hey, im in the midwest also...since all this rain ive noticed my humidty in my corns viv has stayed up for awhile

Small portable generators

A suggestion for prolonged power loss:

Black & Decker has a small portable generator that runs about $90.00, which has a 25 Watt power cord outlet you can use for heat mats. I know that the below heat mats run on 25 Watts or less, so they could be plugged into this generator, in the event of power loss.

T-Rex Cobra Heat Mats - All Sizes Up To - 11” x 17”

Exo-Terra Mats - All Sizes Up To - 11” x 17”

Heat Wave Under Tank Heater - All Sizes Up To - 11”x 17”

Fluker's Under Tank Heater - All Sizes Up To - 11” x 11”

Zoo Med’s Repti Heat Cable - All Sizes Up To - 15 Feet

Zoo Med’s Under Tank Heater - All Sizes Up To - 8” x 18”

HeatWave Rainforest Under Tank Heater - All Sizes Up To 11” x 17”

Here is their link in case you want to check it out.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=12749

There are other small portable generators out there so you can look those up as well if you are interested.

Corn snakes can go without heat for at least a day or two. It may not be fantastically good for them, but there would probably be no lasting effects. Sometimes my friends' corns are without heat for a day or two (she's still setting up their vivs) and although the snakes are cold when I get them out, they warm up after a half hour cruising round my body. They are active, healthy and eat fine.

So unless you think your power cuts might last more than a day or two, I wouldn't worry too much.

Your snakes will be fine for a few days without power. In fact, in the summertime, I often turn my heat mats off completely. If the power does go out and the temp gets below about 75', just don't feed them until it comes back on. For the winter, I got some of those 18 hour hand warmers from Wal-mart. If you only have one or two snakes to keep warm, a generator is just too much money, in my opinion.

For those of us who are use to losing electricity for days at a time, trust me 99 bucks isn't too much money lol. It can charge your cell phone and run a hot plate and if necessary provide electricity to your viv heating element.

I live in Virginia and every dang year, we seem to get a snow & ice storm that takes out everything for a few days. :sobstory: So to us it is a lifesaver. Not sure where everyone else lives but if they have any snow like us then it would be a wise investment in my honest opinion.

Back