• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Keep two corns together? 5 years old.

DarrenHyland

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted. I really should get checking the new posts and such, although almost all of you won't recognise me at all. xD

I'm just wondering if it's alright to keep 2 corn snakes together? I'm aware baby corns shouldn't be really kept together, and I currently have a 5 year old male but I am hoping to get another snake in a month or so.

I currently have a 36" x 15 x 15" wooden vivarium (I'm aware that'll be too small for the two snakes if I can house two together, or will it?). If so, what gender and what age would be ideal? I'm guessing it'd be better to get one roughly the same age and size, but I'm looking to get my next about 3-4 years old?

If not, which size would be ideal to keep two together? All advice welcome. I'm your padawan.

Thanks,
Darren

Basically, no, it's a really bad idea to keep more than one corn in a tank. There are a few very experienced keepers who say it can be done, but if you have to ask....well, that would count you out. :)

Some of the cons include: if one regurges, you don't know which one; if you have a male and a female, you will most likely end up with eggs; it is highly stressful to the snakes, they may look like they are snuggling, but they are really just competing for the best hiding spot; the stress often causes feeding problems, such as not eating or regurging. So any benefits really aren't worth the risk.

Basically, no, it's a really bad idea to keep more than one corn in a tank. There are a few very experienced keepers who say it can be done, but if you have to ask....well, that would count you out. :)

Some of the cons include: if one regurges, you don't know which one; if you have a male and a female, you will most likely end up with eggs; it is highly stressful to the snakes, they may look like they are snuggling, but they are really just competing for the best hiding spot; the stress often causes feeding problems, such as not eating or regurging. So any benefits really aren't worth the risk.

Ah ok. Haha, I guess it does! I've yet to learn a some things about corn snake keeping, and this is one of them!

I didn't think about the regurge and such as well as stress, oh my. Seperate tanks it is, I guess! Thanks. :)

Peace,
Darren

yeah I think if you ask almost any experienced breeder how to take care of your snakes that in the top 5 of their "what not to do's" is "Do not house your snakes together."

If your trying to get them to breed some people will put them together for a short time but overall snakes are very solitary. Imagine how stressed you'd be if your in-laws moved in with you...PERMANENTLY!!!! yea, its that bad.

yeah I think if you ask almost any experienced breeder how to take care of your snakes that in the top 5 of their "what not to do's" is "Do not house your snakes together."

If your trying to get them to breed some people will put them together for a short time but overall snakes are very solitary. Imagine how stressed you'd be if your in-laws moved in with you...PERMANENTLY!!!! yea, its that bad.

I know some ball and corn breeders do 3 days together then 6 or 7 days off to give the males some rest. With milks and kings, 2 hours together at most, under constant supervision.

Tara put it best, "If you can't afford two vivs, you can't afford two snakes." The isn't an upside to cohabing. There are numerous downsides.

Fair enough. :)

No, not breeding, although maybe sometime in the future, I'm not sure. Oh lord, my in-laws? Oh my. :twoguns:

I know some ball and corn breeders do 3 days together then 6 or 7 days off to give the males some rest. With milks and kings, 2 hours together at most, under constant supervision.

Tara put it best, "If you can't afford two vivs, you can't afford two snakes." The isn't an upside to cohabing. There are numerous downsides.
That makes sense. :)

It's not about not being able to afford it. I was just unsure and such. :)

Thanks for all the help. :)

Unless you want to breed them, they should all have their own homes. Even wih breeding they only temporarily live together:) I did try to house two adult females of similar size together, and they did ok, but they were stressed, and not happy, as soon as I seperated them, life got better for all of us!!:) Two males will almost constantly fight! Aside from the stress, there are other concerns, such as observing your pets health, checking their poo, mites, regurg., internal parasites, etc. It's just a really bad idea!

Don't worry though, if you're like most corn owners, you will aquire at least a dozen more in the next few years, and begin to understand the joy of building your own cages:D :p

Unless you want to breed them, they should all have their own homes. Even wih breeding they only temporarily live together:) I did try to house two adult females of similar size together, and they did ok, but they were stressed, and not happy, as soon as I seperated them, life got better for all of us!!:) Two males will almost constantly fight! Aside from the stress, there are other concerns, such as observing your pets health, checking their poo, mites, regurg., internal parasites, etc. It's just a really bad idea!

Don't worry though, if you're like most corn owners, you will aquire at least a dozen more in the next few years, and begin to understand the joy of building your own cages:D :p
Haha, yay! Thanks for taking the time to write that out. :cheers:

Sometime I will begin breeding, I guess, but not yet. The stress, fighting and health monitoring makes sense, too.

I hope I do! I just need money and some time to slowly build a collection, then it's all good! xD. Building my own viv could be fun.. only I'm useless at DIY. :D

:D A sort of cheat way I do it.....I buy utility shelves from Menards, set them up, then either laminate the floor with contact paper or laminate tiles (kitchen/bathroom flooring), then make the walls out of anything from plexiglass to peg board. I "custom" build each cage to fit the animal, just a sneak peek:):p If you're interested I have some pics of my homemade stuff on my site: smreptiles.com, under care sheets in the general care. :) Have fun!

:D A sort of cheat way I do it.....I buy utility shelves from Menards, set them up, then either laminate the floor with contact paper or laminate tiles (kitchen/bathroom flooring), then make the walls out of anything from plexiglass to peg board. I "custom" build each cage to fit the animal, just a sneak peek:):p If you're interested I have some pics of my homemade stuff on my site: smreptiles.com, under care sheets in the general care. :) Have fun!
Thank you!

I just had a quick look and your "custom cages" look great! :D

Thanks for the method. :)

Thanks,
Darren

Back