• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Keeping big tank temps

bigfish44

Hi,this is my first post. I have a 30 gal. tank for my okeetee with 100 watt red bulb for heat. I have a thermostat for the heat lamp (have undertank heater & another thermo on order). My tank temps from one end to the other (36 inch wide) are 85-87 hot end and 66-68 cool end. Until undertank heater comes, will these be good temps?

Just my opinion, but since the warm end is at a good temp and there is a temperature gradient it should be fine.

temps

thanks for your reply.would sombodw maby have a suggestion on keeping temps right in a 30 gal tank. I will soon have a uth 12x8 will this be to small. My house temp is on the chilly side (68) deg. the heat light is on all the time Im wondering if uth will cure this thanks . Tom

I believe a 12x8" UTH is good for 30-40 gallon tanks, so you should be fine in that respect. Once you have the UTH in operation you should probably be able to move the heat lamp more towards the cool side to achieve a good balance of temps, if you are worried about the cool side being too cold. But as was said above as long as you have a good gradient things should be fine. I have read posts where people have never had trouble with low temps around 70 as long as a good warm side was maintained as well. Good luck!

I switched from overhead lights to uth about a year ago. My home temps are similar to yours. I set the uth, with a rheostat, to keep the warm side between 82ish at night and 86ish during the day. That said, some of my animals still opt for the side that's at 68. You can use a light with a uth, but personally don't think you'll need it.

Just my 2 bits.

got auth

Let me start off by thanking all who replied. I have installed a uth via ceramic tile and am also using a thermostat and a thermometer both with probes at the bottom glass. My temps are around 88 deg at glass at bottom of tank. Air temp 84 deg with red heat lamp my cool side is still 70 deg is this OK. Also while I was doing all this me and Holly my daughter fed Drake the snake in another container he ate a f/t pinkey like a champ thanks again Tom & Holly

As stated above you don't need a red heat lamp. lamp light or just lights are more for the owner uses than the snake. but everthing else seems great.

Good Luck :cheers:

Back