• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Kept in the dark?

guitarchick

I moved my 5 month old corn from a room that was dark when her light goes out at night to the living room that has a table light on in the evening. Should I cover her tank when her light goes out to keep her in the dark?
Lise

It's really up to you. If it were me, I would base it on how late the lights are on. If the lights (livingroom lights) are on until very late and there are only a small handful of hours of total darkness, let's say only 6 hours of darkness, I would cover the tank so that there were at least 8-9 hours of darkness.
Corns are nocturnal and need at least a decent day/night cycle. I just don't think it would be fair to only give them a fraction of the time they would like to come out and explore, but that is just my opinion.

If the living room light is not very bright, I wouldn't actually worry too much. I guess all snakes are different, but mine don't take any notice of my artifical lights... it doesn't appear to put them off exploring in the slightest.

No, I have in an aquarium with a screen lid so I put a curtain around the glass. The top of it is not covered at all.
Lise

My corn and my hognose are both in the living room in display tanks. We usually have more than one light on at night, and it doesn't deter my corn from coming out after 8pm to explore and roam, and my hoggie still burrows under and sleeps whether or not the lights are on or off. We do have windows all the way around the living room, so they get plenty of natural light, I think that's what matters. Well, to my snakes anyway.

sorry. . .

i just read through that post i sent and i think i sounded cheeky SORRY!! I'm sure you know more than me i just got a bit carried away. REALLY SORRY

connord94 said:
covering the tank will cover the vents, which means the humidity will rise, correct me if im wrong

Just to clarify, even if you do cover the take for the night, it's still uncovered the rest of the 24 hour day. This will allow air exchange and prevent humidity problems. Plus, you can always just drape a towel (or whatever) just over the front half of the tank. That still provides darkness but leaves part of the screen top uncovered for air exchange.

Back