• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

kiln dried pine, safe or not for snakes?

Okay, so I've heard conflicting reviews on using kiln-dried pine for snake substrate. Some people say it's an absolute no-no, others say they've been using it with no troubles for a long time, and it's perfectly safe. So which is it? Is kiln-dried pine okay for snake substrate, or is it not? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks =]

my question is more out of curiousity out of the debate between " its safe", "its not safe", ya know. i dont currently use pine, i just wish someone would set the record straight haha.

The kiln drying will not remove the oils, which are the problem with pine shavings. They will get dry and sterile, but will still contain the toxins which are dangerous to smaller animals.

I know that some people on Ball-Pythons.net have their BPs on kiln dried pine, but I know nothing about it with corns.

Aspen doesn't cost much for a snake since they don't totally soil it every week like rodents, so stick with it.

I'm pretty sure that no matter where you ask this question you will receive the same few answers.

You may have to think for yourself on this one.

ive been using a cellulose product that is the consitentcy and appearence of soft cardboard-like popcoarn balls. ive had no trouble with it yet. its cheap, effective, apparently safe, and readily available. i know aspen is ideal, but i have to drive over an hour to get it is the main issue. so the debate over kiln-dried pine rages on i suppose as far as if its a safe substrate. one day it will take the place of "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" haha.

Back