• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Kingsnakes...

FlaStangBabe

Elmo & Molly's Mommy
I have a friend who is giving away his tame kingsnake and I was wondering if anyone knew how big they get...

CAV said:
Some get to be bigger than others........

I guess what my concern is if this guy gives me his snake (tank and all) will the snake outgrow it and I'll be stuck buying a larger one? :shrugs:

pcar said:
that is very possible. Depends on what kind of king it is

I guess I'll have to find that out... all I know is it is black and white...(sounds pretty)

Do you know anything about kingsnake behavior... I got a corn as my first snake because I heard they were great "beginner pets" but apparantly they are also addicting... I like all snakes but corns stay a nice size (since i am in the dorms).... good idea to take in the king or not?

Kings have the same basic personality as Corns. They can be meaner and the can be more docile. Depends on the snakes attitude and the way that the owner treats it.

I caught a wild specimin (Desert King Second Picture in this post) on Saturday and after just 2 days of having him, I am able to handle him without gloves. now don't get me wrong, I got bit about 6 times the first day I had him.

As for you question about it being a good idea to keep. Find out what kind of King it is and then do a little research to see how big they get. Then make a decision based off that. If I were in your shoes, I would jump to take him.

pcar said:
Kings have the same basic personality as Corns. They can be meaner and the can be more docile. Depends on the snakes attitude and the way that the owner treats it.

I caught a wild specimin (Desert King Second Picture in this post) on Saturday and after just 2 days of having him, I am able to handle him without gloves. now don't get me wrong, I got bit about 6 times the first day I had him.

As for you question about it being a good idea to keep. Find out what kind of King it is and then do a little research to see how big they get. Then make a decision based off that. If I were in your shoes, I would jump to take him.

I want him bad, real bad! If I do decide to take him...of get another corn I wont have them in the same tank but can I take them out at the same time and handle them together?

( sorry I have so many questions but I am so new with this snake thing, all I have ever done with sankes before was baby sit two boas, and all I had to do was handle them an hour [at least] a day)

FlaStangBabe said:
I guess I'll have to find that out... all I know is it is black and white...(sounds pretty)

Do you know anything about kingsnake behavior... I got a corn as my first snake because I heard they were great "beginner pets" but apparantly they are also addicting... I like all snakes but corns stay a nice size (since i am in the dorms).... good idea to take in the king or not?
If it is black and white, it is probabally some form of getula, California King or Eastern King. They both can get quite large, well over 5 feet. I have an 03 in a 20 long and soon she's gonna need more space. My kings are fairly docile and accept handling without too much fuss. One thing to consider, is that they are by nature, snake eaters and corns know it. I keep my kings in a separate room(not absolutely neccessary) and always make sure my hands have been well washed before messing with the corns. :cheers:

mbdorfer said:
If it is black and white, it is probabally some form of getula, California King or Eastern King. They both can get quite large, well over 5 feet. I have an 03 in a 20 long and soon she's gonna need more space. My kings are fairly docile and accept handling without too much fuss. One thing to consider, is that they are by nature, snake eaters and corns know it. I keep my kings in a separate room(not absolutely neccessary) and always make sure my hands have been well washed before messing with the corns. :cheers:

They would more then likely be in different homes after the summer. (I live in the dorms but over the summer I am staying with my boyfriend [where my corn is now] but I'll probably take the king to the dorms with me in fall.

I have 2 Cali Kings. My female is almost 900 grams and about 6 feet long. She is only 3 years old.

I agree that the size depends on the kind of king snake.

FlaStangBabe said:
I want him bad, real bad! If I do decide to take him...of get another corn I wont have them in the same tank but can I take them out at the same time and handle them together?

( sorry I have so many questions but I am so new with this snake thing, all I have ever done with sankes before was baby sit two boas, and all I had to do was handle them an hour [at least] a day)

You will not want to handle them together or have them in the same tank. One of the Main foods of a King snake is other snakes. Thus they are called Kings.

pcar said:
You will not want to handle them together or have them in the same tank. One of the Main foods of a King snake is other snakes. Thus they are called Kings.

i cant get him... the girl that was taking care of the snake for my buddy who was gunna give it to me got bit and called him to come get the snake... by the time my buddy returned her call she had gotten rid of it cuz it bit her once more...oh well :shrugs:

Road Trip!

FlaStangBabe said:
i cant get him... the girl that was taking care of the snake for my buddy who was gunna give it to me got bit and called him to come get the snake... by the time my buddy returned her call she had gotten rid of it cuz it bit her once more...oh well :shrugs:
Come to Tampa this weekend, There will be plenty of kings, I'm sure :cheers:

Someone's got snake fever

FlaStangBabe said:
well a friend from school has an extra cage...so matbe in time I'll get another corn.... :crazy02:
Now you know why we refer to it as the "addiction" :cool:

and just think, there are many different things you can use as a snake tank...you don't have to stick with just glass tanks...you can use practically anything that you can secure with a lid...

pcar said:
and just think, there are many different things you can use as a snake tank...you don't have to stick with just glass tanks...you can use practically anything that you can secure with a lid...

such as....?

Back