• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Kitty Proof Aquarium Top

Creeper

One of our cats has become quite fond of napping on top of Creeper's aquarium. Of course, the screen doesn't last long, and cats don't understand "No-No." :) Does anyone know of a tougher screen top, perhaps a metal mesh of some kind that can support the weight of a pampered kitty who refuses to give up her new favorite napping spot?

Attachments

• Picasso.jpg
    Picasso.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 82
Re:ply Cat Napping

I have a cat that would do the same thing. Nothing I tried worked until some one told me to put a couple layers of chicken wire on top of the tank lid. He hasn't been on top of the tank scents. It may not be the most fashionable but it's cheap and works. Good luck.

OMG!! That is the funniest damn thing I've seen today!!!! I think if my cats did that I'd just laugh instead of chasing after them like I usually do.

I've found that a spray bottle with water in it set to the farthest shooting distance works really well, and it's kind of fun to make them jump when you spray their feet as they run away!!! LOL! That's awful isn't it?! But they don't seem to come back as quick the next time.......unfortunately they DO eventually come back though .......

I have two cats. One that sleeps on top of the tank (looking down) and one that sleeps beside it (looking in).

They both ignore the corn completely but I can't get them away from the python.

The only thing I can think of are those plastic mats for your chair. They have sharp points underneath to go into the carpet... I might buy a REALLY small one and cut it to fit the top of the tank. Right now I just put stuff on it to keep the cat off. Bags with stuff in them (or whatever).

Picasso would never forgive me if I squirt her with water. But, you're quite right, it would be funny. I might give the chicken wire a shot. Or, I was thinking maybe a cooling rack, like for cookies, might work...if I could find one big enough to lay over the top and lap over the perimeters a bit. Who knows, maybe there's a market out there for kitty-proof aquarium tops that hasn't been tapped yet. "Cats-n-Corns..one stop shopping for cats and corn snakes" LOL

Do you just have a regular wire mesh lid? The Walmart here sells some that are plastic with a small amount of screen in it. It does have holes for the tubes you use with hamsters. I usually put the caps in them, lock them, and tape the lids (for the holes) in place so they can't be knocked out.

:roflmao:
I posted a pic the other day of Oreo atop our viv, but that is absolutely hilarious!!! Hoooo.... I needed a good belly laugh this morning!

A cheap solution would be a piece of wood with a bunch of holes in it over the mesh.

I have 2 ferrets that do the same thing pretty much, even had them help my snow escape once heh, surprised they didnt give her a heart attack with all their hyperness but guess they just let her slither away.

that is the funniest picture....cats are so darn weird!!

and i agree with spirit, i'd just put something on the lid that would keep the cat from jumping up there.

Found a heavy duty replacement top at the local herp shop today. I'd seen them before but never inspected them up close. They are very sturdy and fit perfectly snug. The brand is ESU Reptile Tough-Top. $14.99. Our cat Picasso loves it!

Also - we got Creeper a pinkie today, a little larger that before, and this one put up a bit of a fight. Creeper constricted her prey for the first time today. She's resting quietly in her hide and enjoying her full tummy. :)

Creeper, check out my post "Lid Idea - Not sure if it will work" on the Husbandry forum. I just built it over the weekend and it would definately hold a cat. I don't know what size of enclosure you have (I built mine for a 10g aquarium), but it was a lot stronger than I had expected. I weigh 125 and I was standing on it (when it was spanning 2 bricks, and not when it was on my aquarium obviously :) ) last night and it didn't break. It should be able to hold your cat...

i know hagen makes a tank top that is made of narrow spaced bars (kinda like a hamster cage, but narrower spaces) that clips over the sides of the aquarium firmly. i cant even get mine off without a whole lot of trouble, and has a cliped door in the center of the top. it is sturdy, and would definitely stand up to a cat.

How about just pump that lid with about 2,000 volts of electricity...sure to make any cat second-think about hopping up on top.

j/k

Actually the spray bottle works great to train cats not to jump on stuff. For example, when they jump on top of the kitchen table, just spray 1 squirt on their bum. After a few times...they will not jump on top of the table. You could even place the spray bottle next to the viv just to reinforce 'the punishment'.

I don't consider this cruel, the cats just don't like it(doesn't hurt them in any way)

Back