• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

LA Reptile Stores

MakersMarked

On the outside looking in
Does anyone know of any good, clean, well-staffed reptile stores in the LA area (within, say, an hour of downtown)? I think I may have asked this on here a while back, but I'm asking again in case anyone's got any new suggestions.

My go-to pet store closed last month, and the store I'd planned to make my new go-to just announced they're closing. I looked on Yelp and found a promising store--then found out that they just closed last week! :sobstory:

I only have one snake (for now) and don't know any other reptile owners, so I don't want to buy feeders in bulk online. I bought a bag at the Reptile Super Show a few weeks back, but that won't last forever.

I won't go to Petco or Petsmart because their feeders are overpriced and always look rotten.

Thanks.

(Side question: Does LA city--as opposed to LA County--have strict reptile regulations or something? I noticed there are no reptile shows and very few reptile stores in city limits. They're all in LA County outside of LA City.)

LLL Reptiles might work for you. I don't really know how close they are to LA, but they have four locations in the southern CA area:

http://www.lllreptile.com/info/company/retail-stores

I wish they were closer to me!! We do have 2 stores here in Central NY, one is a standard fish, furry critters, food, bird type pet store (very little in the way of reptiles) and one reptile store. The reptile store does have corn snakes, but rarely has anything outside the normal phase, amel and anery. He tends to sell more bearded dragons I think...but hey, 2 good places for me to get food for the little ones? Can't complain!!

And I agree - buying mice from Petco/Petsmart - way, way over priced, and never seemed...iunno...fresh/healthy?

I like LLL Reptile. They have locations in Oceanside and Menifee which might be on the edge of your one hour range. lllreptile.com

Amazon Reptile looks great, Ravendance! It's about an hour away from me, so that's within range (too bad they're not closer!). I'll check them out next week. Thanks!

I've been wanting to visit LLL Reptile ever since I started watching their videos on YouTube. I even bought some stuff from them at the Reptile Super Show in Pomona, CA. Unfortunately, their stores are more like 2-2.5 hours away from me on an average-traffic day. LA. What can I say? :p

Reading more about Amazon Reptile Center on Yelp. Someone said the store sold him a baby cornsnake and, to prove it was a good eater, they fed the corn before the customer left with it. That seems like an excellent way to get the baby to regurge.

Also, customers can pay $10 to watch the staff feed a live rabbit to a larger snake, on demand. Except when necessary (problem feeders, etc.), I don't believe in live feeding. It strikes me as unnecessarily cruel. I'm a vegetarian, for crissakes.

However, for lack of better/closer options, I'll still visit the place on my day off. But damn, those red flags shot up quick.

Reading more about Amazon Reptile Center on Yelp. Someone said the store sold him a baby cornsnake and, to prove it was a good eater, they fed the corn before the customer left with it. That seems like an excellent way to get the baby to regurge.

Also, customers can pay $10 to watch the staff feed a live rabbit to a larger snake, on demand. Except when necessary (problem feeders, etc.), I don't believe in live feeding. It strikes me as unnecessarily cruel. I'm a vegetarian, for crissakes.

However, for lack of better/closer options, I'll still visit the place on my day off. But damn, those red flags shot up quick.

Oh geeze, yeah did not see the red flags. I'm with you on the live feeding - unless there's a problem feeder or a snake that won't eat F/T I really don't see the point....for the health of the snake (really, really don't want to turn around and have the food item bite snakie) and for the mouse...

There are videos on youtube to show how the mice are "prepped" for F/T (it's a step that pumps CO2 into the bag they are in and pulls out all of the oxygen. It looks a lot less stressful to me...

On the plus side, at least they sold her a heating pad and not a heat lamp. All the stores near me recommended a heat lamp for corns. I'm glad I did my own research online...

Where are you in the LA area?

I'm definitely going to NARBC Anaheim. I even set up a tank and am testing out new heating just in case I come home with a new snake!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're not too far from my GF in Glendale. Where did you used to go for reptiles?

Most recently, my go-to was Reptile Outpost in Van Nuys, but they closed last month. Then I was thinking of going to Jurassic Jungle in Rancho Cucamonga, but they closed this past weekend. When I got my first corn years ago, I used to go to this place on Topanga Canyon in Chatsworth, but they've been closed for maybe 3 years.

I visited Amazon Reptile in Monrovia yesterday. It was a pretty nice place with awesome staff, but they were 45 minutes away late on a holiday morning. God knows what the commute would be during normal LA traffic. Plus, they charge $1.20 per mouse (pinkies to adults).

I think I'm gonna just have to bite the bullet and stock up on mousecicles at NARBC this weekend.

I'm going to try and make Anaheim. I'm working in Chino/Ontario this week, but I work Saturday. If I get off early enough Saturday I will probably swing by after work. Right now I'm living up in Acton/Palmdale so won't feel like driving down on Sunday.

Yeah Reptile Outpost was my favorite as well. I work in the valley so it was very convenient for me. I picked up my blood red from them last year. I'm fortunate that I have a pet store near me that has good mice for $1 each.

Most recently, my go-to was Reptile Outpost in Van Nuys, but they closed last month. Then I was thinking of going to Jurassic Jungle in Rancho Cucamonga, but they closed this past weekend. When I got my first corn years ago, I used to go to this place on Topanga Canyon in Chatsworth, but they've been closed for maybe 3 years.

I visited Amazon Reptile in Monrovia yesterday. It was a pretty nice place with awesome staff, but they were 45 minutes away late on a holiday morning. God knows what the commute would be during normal LA traffic. Plus, they charge $1.20 per mouse (pinkies to adults).

I think I'm gonna just have to bite the bullet and stock up on mousecicles at NARBC this weekend.

Back