• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Last minute first feed details

dr82692

Hey guys. Got my male, 3 month old (turns 3 months on monday :D ) amel motley corn snake on tuesday. Haven't touched him at all, even let him crawl out of his shipping cup on his own. Don at SMR, who provided great customer service and answered all my questions, suggested to feed in 2-7 days. Well, seeing that he has been exploring his viv at night and seems relatively comfortable, I'm going to feed him tomorrow night. I have a frozen pinkie currently in the fridge ready for him. I plan to do what Nanci suggested on previous threads, which is putting him in the container with the food, and leaving him alone for a little while. I'm gonna cut some slits in the back of it too. Any last minute suggestions on the first feed? Should I handle him a little bit before the feed? Like I said, I have never touched him at all. How long should he stay in the feeding container before I put him back in his viv? Any other last minute suggestions are welcome

I wouldn't handle him until after he's digested this very important first meal at your house. I put my babies back in their vivs once the lump is clearly in the stomach. Some of mine eat in 5 minutes and some think about it for a while first so I can't tell you how long he will need to stay in his feeding cup. I'd leave him alone for 15-30 minutes then check back. I suspect that since you got him from SMR he will have gobbled down his pink and be ready to be put back in his viv..

I wouldn't handle him until after he's digested this very important first meal at your house. I put my babies back in their vivs once the lump is clearly in the stomach. Some of mine eat in 5 minutes and some think about it for a while first so I can't tell you how long he will need to stay in his feeding cup. I'd leave him alone for 15-30 minutes then check back. I suspect that since you got him from SMR he will have gobbled down his pink and be ready to be put back in his viv..

Wstphal is like me. I feed my smaller snake(s) in a tub and such. I monitor the corn while eating and keep it in there until roughly 15-20 minutes after the mouse has moved down into it's stomach area. Then, I pick up up and place it back in it's vivarium.

Then, leave it 48 hours after you fed it to handle it? :)

Yeah, I wouldn't handle him a whole lot, but obviously you will have to pick him up to put him in the feeding container. Some people also weigh their snakes, so if you wanted to do that, that would be fine too. It would also be OK if you wanted to kind of give him a quick once over, a little inspection. Just no playing around with him for no particular reason type handling. I actually don't even handle the snakes until they've gotten at least 2 meals into them and, in reality, I have enough snakes that I don't really feel the need to handle newbies for quite awhile and it's usually quite a bit longer before I do any serious handling. But I understand it's your first snake and all...just try to keep handling sessions short and sweet until you have him eating well for several meals. :)

Yeah, I've done a pretty good job of restraining myself thus far I think LOL. Touching him for the first time to put him in the feeding tub will get it out of my system until I can actually handle him! Although I may take the idea above and weigh him, I'm kinda curious as to what he weighs

Back