• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

last of my non-feeders eating :)

daddio207

THUG FROG !
My last clutch of corns hatched on 7/23 has 3 non-feeders and I was just thinking to myself that it's time to try a trick to get them to eat. We had brought in some plants for the winter and a toad hopped out of one and I thought to myself "I can use you". I keep frogs but they're not native to the states so I figured he would smell/taste better to the hatchlings. I put the toad in a little bit of water for a few minutes then released him outside.
I defrosted pinkies in very hot water then took 3 and swished them around in the toad water. I figured I'd stick to the same routine of a deli cup for feeding and leave them overnight. Soon as I put the hatchlings in each container they instantly went for the pinky BAM LOL. I really didn't expect that quick of a reaction!!!
:dancer:

Attachments

• IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 42
My last clutch of corns hatched on 7/23 has 3 non-feeders and I was just thinking to myself that it's time to try a trick to get them to eat. We had brought in some plants for the winter and a toad hopped out of one and I thought to myself "I can use you". I keep frogs but they're not native to the states so I figured he would smell/taste better to the hatchlings. I put the toad in a little bit of water for a few minutes then released him outside.
I defrosted pinkies in very hot water then took 3 and swished them around in the toad water. I figured I'd stick to the same routine of a deli cup for feeding and leave them overnight. Soon as I put the hatchlings in each container they instantly went for the pinky BAM LOL. I really didn't expect that quick of a reaction!!!
:dancer:

Whoa! That's really AWESOME daddio!! Wish I knew where to get a toad when my stubborn hatchlings refuse to eat!!! But are you saying that because the toad in question is native to the states that the hatchling is more likely to go for its scent? I'm sure they'd go for the scent of an exotic or foreign-hatched one also, but I'm not certain. Hatchlings not in any physical contact with an amphibian also wouldn't be at risk for parasites either, I am assuming? Certainly interesting, regardless.

Thanx for sharing!

Whoa! That's really AWESOME daddio!! Wish I knew where to get a toad when my stubborn hatchlings refuse to eat!!! But are you saying that because the toad in question is native to the states that the hatchling is more likely to go for its scent? I'm sure they'd go for the scent of an exotic or foreign-hatched one also, but I'm not certain. Hatchlings not in any physical contact with an amphibian also wouldn't be at risk for parasites either, I am assuming? Certainly interesting, regardless.

Thanx for sharing!

In the past years I used frogs for scenting from other continents with no luck.
Frog scenting is not what I would normally do for the first "trick" to get non-feeders to eat but the little toad was just sitting there asking to help out Haha. What surprised me was the instant reaction of all 3 hatchlings!!

That's great. I'll have to keep my eye out for frogs for my non feeders. They were not interested in lizard scented.

That's great. I'll have to keep my eye out for frogs for my non feeders. They were not interested in lizard scented.

If you can, try to locate some red-spot and/or Arizona toads. If I remember right, Arizona toads are closely related to the American/Southern toad complex. Might be a familiar scent. There were plenty of metamorphed red-spot toads and canyon treefrogs when I was walking about off Ruby Road during Labor Day Weekend. Ruby's going to be a bit of a drive from Chandler though; Globe / the Superstition Mnts might be a bit more doable.

In the past years I used frogs for scenting from other continents with no luck.
Frog scenting is not what I would normally do for the first "trick" to get non-feeders to eat but the little toad was just sitting there asking to help out Haha. What surprised me was the instant reaction of all 3 hatchlings!!

Thanx for the response, not to mention the info. Are you an educator in real life, like by profession, occupation, or a facsimile thereof? You do have that certain didactic quality, without the school-marmish demeanor (no offense intended to DLena or anyone in that particular part of the field; I happen to be a field instructor for social work graduate students, certified and licensed in NY State, that is. But having overseen several drug & alcohol prevention programs in Brooklyn within public middle schools has somewhat jaded my professional experience and my opinions of so-called teachers here, anyway!)

Back on topic: My own experiences with difficult or non-eating hatchlings has certainly tested some of my own limits and my love for snakes in general. However, I am happy to report I defer to, and actually respect, all reptiles in that none of them asked to be held captive and should have to do anything, even survive, just because we want them to. If we can't handle the heat of whatever challenge we face in caring for them, then we should just get outta the kitchen of owning them! My own opinion, of course.

Thanx again daddio!!! :bowdown:

Nice trick!! I've personally never tried toad water on a cornsnake. I wonder if that would work on a hognose. Probably.

Reptilinks now sells frog juice for scenting. A little annoying to use infrequently since it has to be kept frozen, but I believe it's made from bullfrogs.

I was wondering who bought all those Super Bass-O-Matic's from the 70's and re-purposed them!:face_palm_02:

:crazy02:

(For everybody under 50 check out SNL Dan Aykroyd 1976 :laugh:)

Back