• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

laying eggs for 13 days!

oreo1700

since the 8th of March, my female has layed 19 eggs, of which 4 were slugs. the last egg she layed was about 5 days ago and ever since, there has been one right at her vent. she ate a crawler 2 days ago and is drinking water but still cant push this last one out. unfortunately over the past 13 days, 10 eggs have gone bad. what can i do to help her.

Sometimes...just getting the females that have eggs outside helps. Some of my females that showed signs of having problems...I just took them outside and let them crawl around for a while. So far (fingers crossed), everytime I have done this...they finish laying their eggs that nite or the next day.

I would offer a full size mouse. That may help push things along. My vet recommended using an 18 gauge needle to fill the mouse with diluted canned pumpkin (natural laxative and lots of calcium). It was difficult to say the least, but I got some pumpkin into it, after making a huge mess. Make sure she stays hydrated, offer her some Pedialyte (she may not like the sweet taste).

Mine laid 15 on March 9th, had three stuck near the vent for over a week. We made two trips to the vet. She passed the first two on her own, apparently the stress of being bagged and driven to the office was enough to convince her to pass them, but the third required oxytocin. Since then, she has passed two more slugs and has two more to go.

Good luck! You may want to consider visiting your vet if she doesn't pass it over the weekend.

I have also heard of letting them crawl on the grass to help get eggs moving. It's supposed to work pretty well.

That is a LONG time - the retained eggs may have already solidified by now, narrowing your options. She is unlikely to pass them on her own at this point.

I go into quite a bit of detail about what to do in the Cornsnake Manual (and the new Owner's Guide), but it is too complicated to post here. You need to do something soon. Read the appropriate section in the Manual if you can find a copy. Then decide whether you can proceed on your own, or get an experienced breeder or herp vet to help.

You can call me during the day if want to discuss your options (I talk faster than I type, lol!) You can get my # by email if you need it.

Good luck!

i took her to the vet today and after waiting to see one for about 2 hours, then, taking the vet about 30 seconds to lube out the egg, and paying $124, the 20th egg was out. i didnt get to see what he did but i was told that he used the mothod of lubing around the egg. thats what i was gonna do but i didnt have the right probe or anywhere to get it. the egg was white but a little mushed, i think it might make it.

Glad to hear it came out ok, even though expensive! Sounds like one of the methods I described in the Cornsnake Manual. Too bad the vet didn't let you watch so you would be more prepared to do it yourself should it happen again. If you do have that problem again next year, you can call me if you want to and I can walk you through the procedure on the phone.

I have never gotten a good egg that had to be "assisted". I would be very interested to hear if it proves to be fertile (cut it open if it goes bad so you can see if it was fertile or not, just so you will know)

Good luck!

dionythicus said:
I would offer a full size mouse. That may help push things along. My vet recommended using an 18 gauge needle to fill the mouse with diluted canned pumpkin (natural laxative and lots of calcium). It was difficult to say the least, but I got some pumpkin into it, after making a huge mess. Make sure she stays hydrated, offer her some Pedialyte (she may not like the sweet taste).

Mine laid 15 on March 9th, had three stuck near the vent for over a week. We made two trips to the vet. She passed the first two on her own, apparently the stress of being bagged and driven to the office was enough to convince her to pass them, but the third required oxytocin. Since then, she has passed two more slugs and has two more to go.

Good luck! You may want to consider visiting your vet if she doesn't pass it over the weekend.

Speaking of which, how is your female doing? I remember that thread, and I hope that you do decide to continue breeding. I hope that your female is going to pass those last two eggs.

Back