• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Laying in perlite

Magic Kiwi

Just wondering if any other breeders have had experience with using perlite in their lay boxes? We wanted to get sphagnum moss, as it seems to be the most reliable, but the bags at the garden center were massive. Not to mention we're in a bad area for mites and the bags were stored outdoors. I'd prefer not to bring something into the house that has the potential for a mite infestation.

Anyway, we bought a bag of perlite for use in the lay box. Will our females lay in this?

I've never used perlite, but given a choice, my females prefer the larger grade vermiculite to sphagnum moss for laying. I think you'll be fine.

laying boxes

I used to use sphabnum moss but didnt care to much for it. I am switching to 50/50 mix of perilite and vermiculite. Don from south mountain suggested I try it instead so I mixed up some to check it out and I like the consistency of it when mixed with water. Its still heavy so it forms well but airy enough to feel comfortable with the notion it wont waterlogg the eggs. I also like the fact you can get "sterile" grades at some places for high end flowers so you know there isnt the possibility of bugs ( in theory anways)

laying?

I wouldn't think the perolite or vermiculite would be good for laying. It seems like it would be too hard and compact for the snake to burrow in.
They are preferable for incubating but I think you would be doing better with sphagnum moss for the laying box.

I use perlite in my laying boxes, because I then transfer the laying boxes into the incubators. I've never had a problem with the perlite as a laying medium in any way, but I've heard others have had good success with the sphagnum moss too.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Darin.
I thought they would need something easier to burrow in for laying.
Learn something new everyday.
Jimmy

Back