• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Leaf Litter from outside a good/cheap subtrate?

Trouser_snake

Hi, kinda new here and this could have been already addressed, although couldn't find anything under "search". I was reading that in the wild, corn snakes are found in "leaf litter" ...and I was assuming then that "collecting and sterilizing leaf litter" could be a good substrate. I was just wondering what you thought of this....

How do you plan on sterilizing leaves. Boiling them??
Just go out and support your local pet store and buy some aspen.
And use the extra time with your snake.

I'm not sure that I would go this way for substrate, I prefer aspen like many others on this forum. If you were set on collecting from the wild it would need to be sanitized somehow. I believe either baking in the oven (which I don't believe would be best with dry leaves) or freezing for a few days would be the best way to do this. Then again I'm still not positive it would kill all the creepy-crawlies that could hurt your snake.

~Katie

Microwaving is a good way to kill off all the nasties and less likely to effect the leaves. As it happens I had the exact same thought the other day. At the moment though I think I will stick to beech chips. This is what I would attempt but being in the UK the bugs aren't as used to weather extremes so they are easier to get rid of.

Aspen

The aspen we buy seems pretty cheap and goes a long way..
don't know if I would use anything else.

If you steralize it, I don't see why you shouldn't use. It could add some character to your viv. Just as a friendly "heads up", when you use a dark substrate, you have to look pretty hard for the snake's poop. Other than that, it could be fun. Good Luck :)

If you do manage to sterilize it somehow, you will need to make sure the leaves have never been exposed to any chemicals--insecticides, fertilizers, etc, as these could also harm your snake. I think it's safer to use aspen, and cheaper in the long run if your snake were to catch anything from outside leaves. Vet bills cost a whole lot more than aspen from the pet store.

On a side note. If you microwave, you need to wet them first. I microwave all branches that I find, and they just steam, not burn. You would need to do quite a few leaves to fill your viv too.

Yeah what Meg said. I am sorry to cause confusion. You just don't get dry leaves at this time of year here.lol

As I said before microwaving does work really well. I maybe wouldn't cover the whole viv but a pile of leaves might add extra enrichment and make a really cheap natural hide i am sure they would love.

Wow, thanks for all the input everyone..much appreciated! I like the "wet leaves in the microwave" idea or maybe "boil" the leaves in a big pot, or maybe just stick with the aspen.. I'm still undecided - I'm trying to go for a natural setting in the viv. Thanks again everyone...If i go with the natural setting leaves I'll let you all know and post some pics!

Wow, thanks for all the input everyone..much appreciated! I like the "wet leaves in the microwave" idea or maybe "boil" the leaves in a big pot, or maybe just stick with the aspen.. I'm still undecided - I'm trying to go for a natural setting in the viv. Thanks again everyone...If i go with the natural setting leaves I'll let you all know and post some pics!

Back